About to order - Zetec tuning options

Joeb_444

Hi all,

Forum newbie here - I'm about to order a complete kit from Westfield but need some advice on the 2.0 Zetec engine. I understand the duratec would be the best option for performance but unfortunately my budget won't stretch to it. I'm thinking of going for the £1400 throttle body upgrade to get 170bhp, but is there anything else I should consider to get the best performance from the zetec without spending a fortune?

I doubt I'll ever have the car on a track but am looking for a fast road car which remains usable. Any advice on upgrades would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

there is a 9 month old factory Zetec for sale on here. You wouldn't build it for anything like the price asked. Of course if you mainly want to buiild that's a different argument .

there is a 9 month old factory Zetec for sale on here. You wouldn't build it for anything like the price asked. Of course if you mainly want to buiild that's a different argument .

Looks a good buy for someone but the build is 90% of the attraction for me.

I drove a zetec with the "Ford" injection set up

For what it's worth the extra universal joints required to get the steering column round the injection manifold made the steering feel unconnected and mushy

The steering feel with jenveys and a simple straight column without the extra joint is worth the jenvey money

Oh and you get some horses and 4 trumpets masked by a foam filter as well...

Bob a job

FWIW, have a stock 2l Silvertop on TBs and it's excellent. Fraction shy of 170bhp, superb driveability, even economical too (often get over 30mpg in normal driving). Excellent VFM I think. Of course you can get more from tuning, but it soon adds up cost-wise. Cams will be an easy £500 straight away and without head work, aren't going to give an awful lot more, so it soon becomes the dripping tap syndrome. Fine if you have the desire and budget of course.

You can always revisit tuning later anyway.

Not experienced the multi link steering on the Westfield, but used to have a Marcos Mantula many years back and that had a similar setup....which was pretty awful.

• Like 1

Standard 2 litre Blacktop on Jenveys. Great perfomance and drivability, between 30 mpg and 32 mpg in normal driving.

Swapping cams on a Blacktop is not as easy as a Silvertop since they have solid tappets and they need shimming, very time consuming, Silvertops were hydraulic. Having done a cam swap on a Silvertop (Kent FZ2002's) I can confirm they increased power form about 160 bhp to 178 bhp with no additional work, with hydraulic tappets it was simple.

Thanks for the informative replies everyone. Does anyone know why the Westfield throttle body upgrade is £1,400 compared to Jenveys which seem to be £705+VAT if I've understood correctly? Is there something else included in the Westfield setup?

Yes, Westfield's package includes the ecu, (hopefully wiring loom and sensors as required too), the Jenvey kit is just the TB's, trumpets, manifold and fuel rail.

• 1 month later...

Well we have gone and done it, ordered our Westy and by late April will no doubt be shouting help on here !

If you are still wanting TBs I have like new direct to head 45mm Jenvey throttle bodies with fuel rail, TPS, air trumpets, back plate, ITG air filter and jenvey throttle cable set up- its all mint! £800 or offers

not sure about your prices

If interested ring me on 07767836234

I think you may be miss reading the QED advert Terry, They're priced as a pair of TB's as in a complete set for the engine, not half a set. The complete bolt on TB kit includeing, fuel rail, air horns, ecu, wiring harness, sensors etc is is only just over £1500 from QED!

Ill dig out the receipt for when I bought them and check

Price for full kit is £1540 +VAT total £1848! and that excludes backplate, air filter and throttle linkage

FWIW, have a stock 2l Silvertop on TBs and it's excellent. Fraction shy of 170bhp, superb driveability, even economical too (often get over 30mpg in normal driving). Excellent VFM I think. Of course you can get more from tuning, but it soon adds up cost-wise. Cams will be an easy £500 straight away and without head work, aren't going to give an awful lot more, so it soon becomes the dripping tap syndrome. Fine if you have the desire and budget of course.

Echo this completely.

Mine's a 2L Silvertop on Jenvey TB's but has been further modified with JE forged pistons, Eagle steel rods, ACL race bearings, Kent cams and has had headwork done. She recently put out 220bhp + on the rollers. Lucky for me though I bought the car from a member off here with all work already lovingly done! Drives superbly, even in stop start traffic, is economical and excels as a fast road car and on track. A great, robust engine with plenty of potential.

Ill dig out the receipt for when I bought them and check

Price for full kit is £1540 +VAT total £1848! and that excludes backplate, air filter and throttle linkage

You sure they are for a Zetec?