Video of my Westy at Bedford last saturday

Porkie

yeh you can only have so much usable power in a small light car ,you also need to be able to carry that speed through the corners and in my opinion big power turbo engines dont work well in small light cars like westfields ,turbo's are to unpredictable ,this has been proven with sprint cars over the years  :)

I find it really peculiar that we can get threads full of people bigging up their daring do of sideways action round roundabouts and on the public highway in general with never a comment; yet someone posts a video of it on a trackday and suddenly everyone's become outraged from Arcacia Avenue. Weird.

I dont get th"looks a load of fun" comments. It looks dammed dangerous to me. Stop spending money on engine mods and invest in the handling. However much the power they can be made to handle properly

think we all define fun  different John there is a lot of us that really dont get the sprinting  thing , driving all over the country then waiting around all day for a 50 second drive  on cold tyres :oops:  :devil: same as some dont see the point in trackdays or racing , I for one dont get the drifting thing either, its quite big up at teesside with people coming from all over the country in some pretty expensive machinery, there are  competitions held quite often, strikes me as a waste of tyres but I know it isnt as easy as it looks and not at the speeds that Porkie is doing it,  10/10 for effort and fun factor from me  :D  :D  :D

I find it really peculiar that we can get threads full of people bigging up their daring do of sideways action round roundabouts and on the public highway in general with never a comment; yet someone posts a video of it on a trackday and suddenly everyone's become outraged from Arcacia Avenue. Weird.

:t-up:

I'm with Gadgetman  :t-up:

Porkies car is a lovely bit of kit, super quick, looks hilariously fun, and the bloke can obviously drive it with a high degree of competence...11 out of 10 from this judge. :t-up:  :t-up:

If an enthusiasts forum can get their knickers in a twist about a bloke enjoying a fast car in the relative safety of a closed circuit then the enthusiasts have lost their Joie de Vivre IMHO..  :bangshead:  :bangshead:

If you ain't living on the edge yer taking up too much room....you whinging nancy boy maggots...  :laugh:  :laugh:

As an aside I also echo JeffC's comments about sprinting and hillclimbing, to me it's racing for people who don't fancy taking on other people on track. Proper racing is man on man. wheel to wheel, requiring strategy, and skill as well as a decent car.  :devil:  :devil:  :D  :D

Next thing they'll be complaining about the noise.  :down:  :oops:  :p

I'm also with Gadget on this one.  Which one of us who had a Westy with an engine that mental, in an environment where you are very confident about how the other drivers are going to react, wouldn't be mashing the loud pedal down?  Plus Porkie has openly said he was getting used to and finding the limits of the car, in what is probably the perfect place to do so.

Looks like a real blast to me, I'd get in that car without hesitation and grin like an idiot the whole time.  Another 10/10 from me. :t-up: Thanks for sharing!

As an aside I also echo JeffC's comments about sprinting and hillclimbing, to me it's racing for people who don't fancy taking on other people on track. Proper racing is man on man. wheel to wheel, requiring strategy, and skill as well as a decent car.  :devil:  :devil:  :D  :D

not at all in line with what Jeff said at all...

And possibly should be re-thought.  Comment like this are what start arguments and gets threads removed. I've left my actual thoughts in the office rather than keyboard warrioring to make a point.

I've watched this car from a far over many years... and can understand why it's evolved to where it has... good on you...! Looks like awesome fun...

I am not trying to pee on anyones bonfire and I can see how quick the car is but several times the car is all over the track and the driver has to completely let go of the steering wheel! Thats NOT driver control.

I am quite capable of driving in a similar style and have done many slalom/drifting events usually on crap tyres and had a lot of fun.

BUT there are other cars on the track and on some trackdays the black flag would have been out and I wonder what other drivers thought of it. It was not 4 wheel drifting or even controlled power slides.

BUT there are other cars on the track and on some trackdays the black flag would have been out and I wonder what other drivers thought of it. It was not 4 wheel drifting or even controlled power slides.

The Driver of the black Golf just commented on my Youtube actually. He was one of the cars I overtook at highspeed.

I don't know him at all by the way.

Peterwiv

was in the black Golf mk5, you went past so quick! very nice

He didnt seem to upset. Nor did anyone that came over and spoke to me in the pits. Lots of people asked for rides and I took as many out as possible.

I realise everyone is out there for fun and so as I have said before I dont take the car out when there is alot of traffic. I left the car in the pits ALL day from 9am-3pm!!!! until  track was nice and quiet. Hardly some selfish bully am I?

I used my little Clio that has under 200bhp and my 100% std ExigeS all day. Two cars that are all about handling and balance. I am not JUST into crazy power cars! I like all cars.

I'm not some wally who thinks he owns the track and wont listen to criticism either.

Sorry if it upset anyone. It certainly didnt seem to on the day and hasnt it the past.

I'm just trying to enjoy the car in one the safest enviroments there is... right at the end of the day rather than being a pest with it during the busy times.

Thanks for those with positive comments. I do love the car lots and lots and it thrills me on a level no other car I have ever driven has.

• Like 1

I dont get th"looks a load of fun" comments. It looks dammed dangerous to me. Stop spending money on engine mods and invest in the handling. However much the power they can be made to handle properly

I havent skimped on anything. If you think I have just thrown a highpower engine in a standard car on standard suspension and tyres then you are wrong.

I paid Race car Doctor to do a day at Brands with me and help develop the handling a while ago.

but since he stopped JSR (ex PLANS guys)  who build race winning Lotus cars have been working on the car.

Its just a bit wild in the video, because of my right foot and I'm turning in too agressively to get rear moving so I can play with it and enjoy it.

I can turn the boost down or make it hit less hard and it will be faster perhaps and more controllable for sure.

But I'm not competing. I'm just having fun with it.

Sorry to have upset you.

We all have different opinions on whats fun.

I LOVE 100bhp sevens as well by the way. I am not a big power blinkered monkey. Just lucky enough to be able to own lots of cars and wanted one that was ridiculous and overpowered!

Awesome vid, Ive done the Palmersport Day numerous times and if your going to do that anywhere its there!!

It was not 4 wheel drifting or even controlled power slides.

So if it wasnt controlled. Why did I only loose it once?

I don't pretend to be the worlds greatest driver and still have lots and lots to learn and reguarly pay for driver tuition from instructors.

But I was kinda in control even if I do say so myself

You are welcome to have a drive yourself or come along to a trackday with me. Hopefully I can change your mind. Maybe you can teach me some stuff or have some suggestions on car set up.  :)

to meit's racing for people who don't fancy taking on other people on track...

The key bit being "To me", this clearly identifies it as my opinion for those hard of reading. :p

I don't want you to agree with it, I am merely expressing my opinion, if reading and digesting other people's opinions is so abhorrent to you,  it seems to be a simple way of identifying a closed mindset. :bangshead:

We are all entitled to our own opinions, I didn't ask for agreement or seek praise for it, I merely expressed what I thought....

It's a concept known in the democratic Western World as Free Speech... :laugh:

Try it, I'm sure you could get to quite like it... :p  :devil:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: