4-Point harnesses & indicators

garfield

Two questions:

1. When I bought my RAC roll bar, Westfield gave me an eyebolt and small spacer to fit at the passenger side as the nearside eyebolt can only be fitted before you fit the roll bar. I got the rest of the eyebolts in the post today and the spacers are much bigger - more like 25mm than the original 10mm'ish one.

Is this right or should I cut them down or ask Westfield for the smaller type?

I have also read something about using the inertia belt mounting bosses for the inner eyebolts rather than the proper fixing point. Any views on this?

2. Does anyone know if the carbon fibre indicator mounts (the type that mount under the headlights Cateringvan stylee) are SVA compatible?

Thanks,

Gareth.

Use the proper harness fixing lugs, don't swap over fixings  ;)

Some folks find it easier to grab some inertias from a scrappy to get them through SVA and swap to harnesses after  :D  ;)

The Westfield indicator pods projecting from nosecone also help with SVA impact intrusion into front suspension  ;)  So if you do fit cateringvan style indicators you may need to protect your fron suspension from the 100mm sphere thats used by the SVA man  :)

Hope you're not anywhere near Southampton SVA centre  :D  if you are, move  :devil:  :D  ;)

Gareth,

The spacers I fitted were about 25mm long (golden tinge and about 2-2.5mm thick). I never had two sets of spacers but I did have two sets of eyebolts ... long and short (I fitted the long). It sounds like you may have the short eyebolts since if I screwed in the long eyebolt without the spacer then it wouldn't go all the way in by a long margin. Do you have the fibreglass boot box (open not lockable)? If so then the long spacers are required in order to stand proud of the fibreglass (unless you wanted to cut out a very large amount of fibreglass).

The short eyebolts would of allowed me to get the outer passenger one in without me having to undo the RAC roll over bar, but I didn't like the fact that the length of thread engaged was er substantially less!! So in the end I took bar off and fitted the long ones.

As ever check with the factory to be sure. After all they could save your life... the mounts and the factory!  :p

I too heard the "myth" of using the inertia turrets for the inboard mounts in order to get through sva and had set the mounts up in this way until final last minute checks with the factory revealed that there was no need to do this. I went to Shrewsbury SVA centre and had no problems with the 4 harness mounted using the proper 4 point mounts rather than the inertia ones.

Can't comment on no 2.

Andrew

Thanks for the advice Guys.

Andrew,

I have an open boot box, and it's a good point - I didn't consider if the eyebolts would stand proud of the fibreglass with the smaller spacer. The eyebolts I've got have about 2" of thread, and the new spacers are the same as yours. It just looked to me like the eyebolt with the longer spacer wouldn't fit under the cross brace of the RAC roll bar, but I only took a quick look. I'll check with the factory. As you say - these things could save my life after all.

Hope you're not anywhere near Southampton SVA centre    if you are, move      

Leighton Buzzard is my nearest centre, and I've heard they're pretty good. But unless I get my finger out I won't be visiting until next spring. Work has a nasty habit of getting in the way of everything I enjoy :angry:

Thanks again. :)