Donor parts

mark.anson

Still in the process of sourcing my donor parts while saving up for the kit.Got the engine and front uprights, brake calipers etc.

In the brochure it states that "bar shafts" are included in the kit price.I assume by this they mean drive shafts.What exactly do you get?Are the lobro joints etc included or do I still need to go and buy a complete rear Sierra subframe,bearing in mind I still need an LSD and rear calipers.

Cheers folks.   :durr:

Hi mark,

Yep you're right the "bar shafts" are the drive shafts  :D

The lobro joints are'nt included in the starter kit - I don't know about the module kit though, think they might be included in that  ???

Going for the whole sierra subframe off a 4x4 is probably the best way of getting all the parts u need. The rear calipers will defo need a rebuild or swapping for recon ones, I've got the lucas part No. for a repair kit (including cylinders) for 2 rear calipers, it was about £70 I can find it out for u if u like.

Oh, bofore I forget :sheep: , try and get the rear hub nuts undone while the whole lot's still on the donor if possible they're done up to ~200lbsft and it can be nigh on impossible to get them undone with the subframe on you're garage floor.

HTH

Ian       :t-up:  :t-up:

P.S. Just out of interest, what engine have u gone for? :D  :t-up:

Thanks for replying guys.

I will be building an SEI from the standard starter kit.I have gone for the Vauxhall 20xe 16v engine,and have already sourced this.In the process of rebuilding it. :t-up:

Ian.The part number for the caliper rebuild kit would be v.usefull if you have got it.

Thanks    Mark

I got re-manufactured rear calipers from Brakes International.

It's definitely the safest option, and at £50 per caliper (these are essentially new) it was a no brainer. My only advice if you do go this route is to keep the hanger off the old calipers before sending them in exchange....just send the main caliper body, not the bracket that they slide on.

I got a sierra rear axle (minus diff) from Andy Hewing www.donorspares.co.uk.

I sent the old calipers in exchange and stripped the driveshafts, cleaned the lobros up in a component bath.

The bar shafts in the kit are just shafts with splines cut on the ends.

DC

It's true what the other guys have said, the rear calipers can be an  :arse: to rebuild, getting recon ones in defo the easier route. :D. If u r still interested in rebuilding them though, I'll dig u out the repair kit no. when I'm next at home.

I can recomend donorspares too, got my LSD from there - no probs :cool:

Where abouts are u based? I'm building a XE powered SEi too :cool:  :D  

Ian