I HAVE BEEN MUGGED

steven ord

Has anybody had any experience with pre purchase inspections that have turned out to be useless and you are landed with a large bill to sort something they should have alerted you too.  I am in this situation at the moment facing a £1200 bill to re-con an engine. Any views will be appreciated.

Depends......

Who did the inspection?

Did they give you a guideline as to what sort of service you should expect?

Did you pay for the inspection by credit card?

....and also.....

What is actually amiss with the engine?

Has the engine failed because something else has failed first?

I am not suggesting for one minute that you have, but for example if the radiator has been leaking, and the car has been driven until the engine has seized, then in this and similar examples you are probably on your own, the arguement being that you should be keeping an eye on the temp gauge, and therefore the engine would not of been damaged, even if you could prove the rad was leaking pre-inspection....

The Inspection was carried out by a member of the Institute of Automotive Engineers in Crewe. The Engine has not stopped running but needs alot of work to get it back to what it should be. Basically there is wear on the bores it needs new pistons and cam as well as new pumps etc etc. Basically the engine is an old dog that needs to be fully reconditioned. The company has allready returned my fee which leads me to think they know that they have not done what they should. I am in the process of contacting the Institute and Trading Standards. I was just asking to see if anybody has had a similar experience and what is the best course of action.

The company has allready returned my fee which leads me to think they know that they have not done what they should.

I would tend to agree with you on that one. Nobody instantly gives money back.

Keep pressing

David

Mmmm, I agree with David. Time to read the small print on any 'contract' signed, to see what your money actually paid for and their liability.

At the end of the day, using the facts you have stated so far, you have bought a car on the strength of their inspection so they *should* have responsibility......