Excessive noise

PeterOz

My car has just failed it's SVA, mainly on a load of niggly things but majorly on exhaust noise level. It's a factory modular build kit with 1800 Zetec on Webers - standard exhaust that came with the kit. Anyone got any ideas on how to reduce level? SVA tester said that he thought there was a company that produced something you could insert in exhaust to reduce noise??

I had the same problem, ended up just shoving a load of wirewool in the can.... means it won't rev past 4000rpm, but it's damned quiet!

Remove it by downshifting and blowing it all out!

I had the same problem, ended up just shoving a load of wirewool in the can.... means it won't rev past 4000rpm, but it's damned quiet!

Remove it by downshifting and blowing it all out!

Thats a good plan as long as you can fish it out afterwards. You can look in the demon thieves catalogue they have some proper adapters/additional silencing, some which stick insid the zorst, not sure how youd get it inside a westie one tho due to the bend in the end.

On another note Im up for SVA soon, can you send over the list of niggly bits they picked up so I can check mine?

Thanks

Tony

For Tony, and anyone else interested, here are the things tester didn't like much:

Both inner upper seat belt anchorage points are below 450mm from seat base. (4-point harnesses, inner anchorage point just needs raising slightly. He also didn't like the edges on the metal parts of the belts at the top anchorages which will need radiusing or protecting - as will the small bracket to which the hood will attach.)

Panel edge at side of driver’s side footwell, rear fog lamp switch and gauges have contactable edges not radiused to 2.5mm.

(Tester suggested swapping rear fog switch with main light switch - which does have radiused edges - this will bring fog switch within protected area of steering wheel. Tester also suggested fitting rubber o-rings to outside edge of gauges)

Offside headlight aim kicks-up to the right. (Faulty bulb we think)

Bonnet clips, shock absorbers, various suspension nuts bolts and brackets, headlamp brackets, mudguards & mountings, side screen mountings, optional seat belt mounts (turrets), seat belt clasps, roof side mounting, number plate plinth and exhaust rear mounting all have contactable edges not radiused to 2.5mm.

(We had fitted rubber caps and moulding to forward facing bolt caps, nuts etc and to edges of cycle wings - but now needed on rearward facing surfaces also!;)

Bottom radiator hose inadequately supported (My fault - temporary rig to bring hose away from steering rack, prior to making up a proper bracket, which I then forgot about! Motto: Check you've done everything twice - and only use cable ties for tying cables!!;)

Nearside front mudguard fouls body on full lock (Yep, so it does!;)

Noise level at 4050rpm is above limit of 101dB (actual 103-104dB)

Plus we have another problem with the engine number stamped on the block not matching that on supporting letter from Westfield re engine age. Trying to sort this with the factory at the moment.