wind shield uprights

bioman

Can anyone tell me if wind shield uprights are the same on narrow and wide bodied Westfields?

OK, I'll ask - why?

And they're similar but not identical, some modification needed when fitting, but possible for the mechanically competent.  Which leaves me out.

Thanks for the reply Captain. Why? Because I saw saw a pair on E Bay and thought they could be good to have for spares? As a complete Newbie (so this is a silly question) is there an item showing compatable body parts for wide , narrow etc?  Just gleaming info for my new toy.

I shouldn't worry about getting spare windscreen supports.  They won't wear out and are robust even in an accident.  Plus there's frequently someone in here converting to aeroscreen who doesn't need them any more.  I'd save me money personally unless yours are awful and they bug you. Apart from the nose cone (I think!), the body parts are not compatible.

Good advice I'm sure and noted, mine are in VGC. May I ask this additional question? "are  nose cones interchangable then?"

Again, unless someone corrects me, highline narrows and wides are roughly the same, but the mouth openings are different diameters.  Prelits and very early narrow lowlines are different.

Ta! Will check, have a feeling I have a narrow lowline. Unless from my pic you know more?

Almost impossible to tell the difference without a tape measure.  Highline is about two inches taller at the rear where it meets the bonnet.  Probability is you have a highline, lowlines are very rare.  Mine is a highline if you look at my sig photo.

Thanks Captain, I don't think you need one but you could be my "New best friend", learning all the time.

Just don't assume I'm always correct or I know it all, that's Gadgetman and Blatman's job!  I do what I can, mate!

:blush:

Sorry, I couldn't tell you if narrow and wide noses are identical or not. I can tell you there are at least two generations of wide body standard nose and bodywork though. The later, current, ZK style mount to the chassis differently, and I've a sneaky suspicion the swage line might be in a slightly different position. The grill opening is also different between the two.

^^^ Yeah.  What the expert said.  I'm an old partial numpty that usually gets things close to right, but I bow to his superior knowledge and good looks.

FWIW, had a quick measure while doing some work on the car this afternoon; measured at top chassis rail height, the width, outer face to outer face of a current wide ZK style nose cone is 680mm. (Though the way gr b****y p shrinks as it cures, I'm sure there'll be some variation car to car).

Personally, I'd bet a pack of the Captain's choicest Pringles that it wouldn't fit. (even ignoring swage line issues).

:D

Incidentally, on the screen uprights front, you'll find if they're the black ones they'll have a thick and fairly tough powder coat finish. If they do get marked or as sometimes happens water gets under and oxidisation lifts the coating. (As the second hand ones I bought recently were suffering from). It's a piece of cake to strip them down and get them re powdercoated. (mine cost £10 for the pair to be media blasted and re done in satin black, cheaper and much tougher than trying to do yourself with rattle cans).

Thanks Gadgetman, learning all the time. This is a great forum! Going to stick with my alli uprights (acknowledging  the Captains comments). The nose cone issue, well apart from a small spider crack, I'll live with it for now. These pringles are quite nice :-)