The balance of Power.

mhc

Yeeeeees, someone who thinks we might not be wasting our time.  <!--emo&:t-up:

You can get a s**t load more weight out of that car yet.

Any buy some NEW tyres or else you really will be wasting your time.

Mark, its always been on fresh rubber (<4 events old). You are right about weight but fixing that is the easier bit so (slow) progress is being made elsewhere first.

Kevin,

Looking back on the time I ran my supercharged Haybusa power Westie. If I had the time again I would concentrate much more on weight and handling than I did.  :D  :D  :D

Just my twopence worth.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Terry Everall

• mark.anson

• davidgh

• mhc

Thanks Nick, I will try focus there a bit more although I don't think it will work until the engine responds how I want it to which is what's taking the time to evolve.

This always was a marmite option, the best or worst of G & H, but that's why I took it on of course.

I'm sure that regular readers of this forum, and anyone who knows me. will know of my hatred of bike engines. However, I do see the sense in buidling a competition BEC. As far as value for money/speed it can't be beaten.

The amount of money spent on a CEC to make it beat a  bec's is prohibitive, regardless of circuit.

The international circuit at Ty Croes is a fast circuit, and does not lend itself to BECS, as they are on the rev limiter for a considerable part of the straight, topping out at circa 120mph, when the CEC's can do significantly more. (150mph is possible in Del's car, though not at Ty Croes!)

Mick, I don't think you wil be convined, cos you're right, bike power it is....and you know how much that pains me...........Now just build the light weight BEC, and find a light weight driver to pedal it!!

weight watchers here I come......... again! :p

It is a sad, though scientific, fact that driver weight makes more of a percentage difference to a car weighing in at 370kg than to one weighing 600kg. Pie lovers should definitely try to make the best of a SEight.

Having said that, skill helps as well. A 110kg person I know regularly beats his 90kg father in a 470kg BEC  :blush:

If I had been going down the road of getting Buttercup back to sprinting weight was the area of focus. A light car with a low power to weight ratio will be faster than a heavy car with a high power to weight ratio with the same driver as long as he is not Giant Haystacks. Thats for sprinting and hill climbs of course.

If I had been going down the road of getting Buttercup back to sprinting weight was the area of focus. A light car with a low power to weight ratio will be faster than a heavy car with a high power to weight ratio with the same driver as long as he is not Giant Haystacks. Thats for sprinting and hill climbs of course.

Definitely - especially as Giant Haystacks is dead!  :laugh:

Definitely - especially as Giant Haystacks is dead!  :laugh:

Showing you age John I knew I would catch someone :devil:

It seems to me that competing in the Speed Series is a very individual thing!

Each entrant I think needs to decide what he or she wants to achieve from the competition.

Once that has been decided then a strategy has to be developed to achieve the desired objective

I think this what the big guys talk about developing the right package, ie budget, driver, equipment.

Again the package is a very individual thing and each part of the package has to be right throughout the season to deliver the results

I believe this approach has been very cost effectively demonstrated by Stu Hill this year

It maybe CEC or BEC nothing can be set in stone

Graham

I am proud to say that my package hangs over my waistband every time I pull my racesuit on.  If only I could lose about 5 stone, I would be awarding myself the overall winners prize at the WSCC Dinner.

Don't forget - some focus on the pure enjoyment of being involved in the Speed Series and are not that bothered about the overall championship or winning every race (yep - me for instance).  My winter prep is well known by now;  park the car up in October - uncover it in March, change the oil & pump up the tyres - coat of Autoglym and away we go.  

I believe that I am still competitive in my own sphere of buddies with similar spec cars - and to me - this is the essence of the speed series.

BEC or CEC - for me - not bothered, just enjoy taking part. :)

Exactly my point Mr Chairman

You have decided what you want from the SS and are happy with your results

As for me I am one step away from the perfect car and driver partnership!

Just need a new driver!

Graham

Mick - have the recent reduction in temperatures taken their hold on you !! ?

I'm surprised to read you are even talking about bike engines.....

also interested to read that you are missing the competitive side of your creativity.... do i have visions of a VERY light and special BEC WEsty being created !! ?

would love to see it