• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Pinto Head

Enterpryse

Is there an easy way of identifying whether a head has hardened seats fitted, either by visual inspection or manufacturers part number??

Thanks

Stuart

If the inlet ports are "humped" at their tops (not circular in shape all the way around their circumference) at manifold face you have an injection head and this should be fitted with hardened seats.

To be sure give Burtons a call.

Chaz.

If you look at the side that has the spark plugs/exhaust and right next to the left most spark plug there is a 'P' stamped into the head - this denotes that the head is suitable for unleaded fuel.  

My engine was from a 'F' plate and has the P stamped into the head.

Thanks Chaz but the head came with twin choke carb.

OK Stevo, just checking the head for marks now

Cheers

Stuart

Just Checked, the Head has either  8d  or P8 dependant on which way you view the damn thing.  If you have an email address or you can tell me how to post a pici up here I'll send it over for review.   Or could you have a look at;

http://www.stuartwadsley.plus.com/Westfie....003.jpg

Thanks

Stuart

The 'P' that your looking for is located above the spark plug hole and is stamped rather than cast.  If you look beneith and to the right of the rocker cover bolt hole (in your photo) you can see a slight mark, maybe in real life it is the elusive 'P'.  If it is not a 'P' there are other numbers that indicate lead freeness but I don't know what they are.

Does this mean your better now?

Thanks Steve,

Getting better thanks.  Can't lift the head yet, can just about manage the kettle (at least thats what my wife thinks)

On my way to the garage now to check. Good job you said stamped and not cast !!  :D

Stuart

acording to haynes manual, a 2lt unleaded head can have any one of the following markings; L, P, PP, R, or RR.

b*******, I can't find any other mark bar the one yopu mention and that looks like an  "I"  -it looks like a stamp just done badly.

Stuart

Thanks everyone, I can't ID the head as its only got what looks like an  I   where I would expect a P stamped on it so I'm going to have the seats done anyway.  

Is there anyting else that should be done at the same time. Bear in mind cash is not at a premium !!!

Thanks

Stuart

Give Mike a call at Ferriday (SS Sponsors) whizzo with all Ford stuff and friendly helpful advice - 01785 621710  :D  :D  ;)  :D

Buy the Vizard book - He has some demon DIY tips - Luckily i work for a car manufacturer - If you want your valves back cut I may be able to arrange it for the postage and a fortnight turn around. If you live in the NE you can borrow the book :t-up:

Thanks to everyone.

Cast Iron; if you were closer, I'm in Kenilworth (Warks)  and I was fit I'd accept your very kind offer. Thanks though  :)   :)

Mark, I've PMd you

Cheers

Stuart