• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

cooling fan

harky

i am currently running my fan on a manual switch and was looking in the burtons catalogue at the in-line temp switch which simply cuts into one of the rad hoses and triggers the fan when necessary.

has anybody used these,if so are they accurate and of course do they work well.

thanks.............................

Not sure that mine is from Burtons but the thermostats all seem to work well. They're either a sensor that slips under the clip where the hose goes in the rad or you cut the top hose and have a small metal section that has the thermo in it. Mine also has a bleed valve as that will generally be the highest point in the cooling system and it helps when refilling.

Either way I'd keep the manual switch as well so that you can over ride it if you need to.

The temperature needs to be taken at the radiator I would have thought.

This is where Westfield place it on the Zetec installation but:-

Err no, have to disagree, the temperature needs to be taken as close to the engine/head as possible me thinks???

Provided the temperature at which the switch 'switches' allows for the temperature difference between where it is situated and where the water is that you want at a particular temperature, it is not too critical.

For example, my engine runs at a registered 88 degrees but in a traffic jam after several minutes the fan will come on always at just below 100 degrees and will then yo-yo between 95 and just 100 for as long as I am stationary. The temperature sensor is at the top of the block (in the thermostat housing) and my temperature value of my switch (on the radiator) has been chosen to close at 100 degrees at the block.

thanks for all that.

changing the rad isnt really an option as i have a four core westfield rad which i think is better than the polo.

my thermostat housing does have a blanked of threaded hole ,does this mean that i can just buy a screw in sender and connect to the fan,more info please.

have to agree with steppenwolf as the positioning does not really matter as long as when your temp gauge reaches its limit the fan kicks in.....................

does this mean that i can just buy a screw in sender and connect to the fan

Yep... most good motor factors should stock the correct part, what engine are you running?

1700 x-flow.i assume burtons would have the correct sender.

do you need to specify what temp of sender you are after or are the senders relevant to the engine.

I would have thought that the cost of the part will be exceeded by the postage ??? Nip round to your local Partco or independent car parts shop and ask for QH part XEFS13.  This seems to be the only one listed for all engine sizes, I don't know its rating and would be interested to find out.

this chap seems to have fitted one to his Westfield.

QH part XEFS13.  This seems to be the only one listed for all engine sizes, I don't know its rating and would be interested to find out.

Just fitted one of these to my x-flow a couple of weeks ago. The range stamped on the part was 92/101 I think (Can't quite remember but I reckon it was in this area.) I purchased it at a local motor factor for around £7. The part relates to XR2 Mk1 and was listed in the QH catalogues for this vehicle

Harky

I have an unused in-line temp sender thing to go in the rad hose - it's going free (less perhaps P&P if you live in outer mongolia).

What size ID hoses do you have?

Where abouts do you live (me=Swindon)

Dickie B