• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

SDV

flanker7

The optional interior side panels, are they worth fitting, do they have any practical use? Does the body work when fitted do the same thing in effect?

Thanks

Mark :)

Interior panels are a *must have*, IMO. Without them, you'll be able to see the chassis, and, more importantly, any gaps in the body/chassis/rear wheelarch/rear of engine compartment panel fit, and you'll have a car full of water/grit etc........

Hey Blatman,

just to confirm that it's the "vinyl covered" (Westie storesman) interior panels that i should fit not the ali exterior ones? :)

Hey Blatman,

just to confirm that it's the "vinyl covered" (Westie storesman) interior panels that i should fit not the ali exterior ones?

Yes, but I'd fit both.........

just to confirm that it's the "vinyl covered" (Westie storesman) interior panels that i should fit not the ali exterior ones?

Am I missing something here? I assume that you are going to fit the external ali panels no matter what and that your query is only 'is it worth fitting the internal vinyl ones AS WELL?'

I am a little concerned about your comment

Does the body work when fitted do the same thing in effect?

which indicates that you are not necessarily going to fit the external ali panels?

which indicates that you are not necessarily going to fit the external ali panels?

The external ali panels are optional too, I kid you not...

(or they were when I built my last car)

(if you opt for a panelled chassis, you get them as standard)

Hey wookie,

I'm confused also, steppenwolf says the exterior are a must and Blatman says interior are a good idea but suggest both! wots the definitive answer guys with a view to cosmetics and weather proofing etc?  ???

The external ali panels are rivetted to the chassis every 50mm and as far as I am aware, perform an important part in maintaining the rigidity of the chassis - they are not just there to keep out the road crud.

The internal ( vinyl covered items ) are sparsely rivetted ( some builder just velcro them which is fine ) and are cosmetic as they hide the view of the chassis rails from the cockpit. They also serve as a bit of a buffer from the heat of the side exhaust if fitted!

I have heard ( as reported by Al ) that the external panels are described as 'optional' but I thought that this meant that purchasing them from the factory was 'optional'?

I would thoroughly recommend that you research this topic carefully but I have yet to see a Westfield that does not have these external panels fitted although I do know of at least one that has carbon panels instead which I suspect perform a smilar task in strengthening the chassis.

I've fitted the external panels, and they are an optional extra from westfield, i just wanted to know how and when to fit interior ones, as do they cover part of the bodywork, or to be fitted last thing? when the seats etc are in? ;)  :D

Fit the interior panels after the bodywork but before seats, carpet and seatbelts (you have to bolt seatbelts through the interior panels).  The panels will overlap the bodywork where the bodywork fits over the top chassis rails.

I would rivet them on, don't see any point in having them velcro'd.

Mike :)

Thanks, for the build advice.

For those that havn't twigged this means that you now have to remove the seatbelt mounts again. Which, if you tried to follow the build manual, will mean its the third time they have been attached.

Easy!! -  but still deep joy!

S