• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

SDV Alternator

wookie

Put "Daihatsu and Charade" in to the search function.......

The search function is your friend..........

Blatman,

Most people seem to think the Lucas 18ARC is the right one for this, albeit with a plastic cover removed. Why do you think the Jap units are the ones to use?

Cheers

Stuart

The Lucas 18ARC is, AIUI is the "standard" Pinto alternator, or a close approximation of what Mr Ford fits as standard, under a bonnet that has *much* more room available than a Westfield.

The Nippon Denso alternators as fitted to Charades is light, small, just as powerful (50 amps), internally cooled (ie, no soppy metal cheese grater fan behind the pulley), can be revved safely to 7500rpm on a belt driven by a standard Pinto pulley, and is of all metal construction. They are basically the same as the alternators that Tweeks offer for nearly 200 quid. This also means that spares like pulleys are readilly available.

My Cossie car has one fitted (as does the car in my avatar), and even in a narrow chassis, there is room for porper adjustment of the fan belt.

I wouldn't use anything else......

OK, the obvious question, are the mounting arrangements the same. WF supply modified brackets for the SDV so just wondering if these might fit !?

Cheers

Stuart

I use a standard Pinto alternator mount on my Cossie, with some appropriate length bolts and a spacer. It's quite easy to do.....

Neil,

There seems to be a couple of variants that were fitted to the Pinto/Sierra donors and it seems to have caught a lot of the SDV builders out (including myself). Maybe caugh tout isn't the right expression  ??

It happens that the alternators that we have replaced with recon ones will foul the front chassis members and the way to avoid this, according to WF, is to go for the Lucas 18ARC (or LCR, I forget) and bin the replaced donor part. This is why theres a bit of a "discussion - :angry: " about it.

I suspect the X-Flow has a more room.

Cheers

Stuart