• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Whers's me transducer ??!!!

DAZ 4

I've not had a speedo working since getting the car (18 months ago) and decided that I would take a look and get it going !

Jacked the car up looked underneath and found...... 2 wires (red insulated spade ends) and a big round hole in a horizontal bracket. I take it that there is suposed to be a "transducer" there ?  :0

Phoned Westfield parts and spoke to a nice chap who said.......we get a lot of cars with their transducers missing but don't know why they were removed  ???

My question/s is :

Do I purchase a transducer (£70.00) ?

If I do, do they work ok ?

Is there another alternative, ie bike speedo ?

I've done a search and read all the relative posts but none of them cover all of the above.

Darren

edited to try and spellcheck the title...but you can't  :D  Why not ?!

If you have an electronic speedo, ie not driven off the gearbox, then it needs a transducer, check to see if it is mounted near the prop shaft/diff as it could be using the bolts there as a pickup and just need adjusting, they need to be close to the bolts to work.

HTH

Neil

Yup, first port of call would be to have a look at the back of the speedo to see if it is cable driven or not.

If it is deffo electronic, you may find that somebody has a transducer fitted to the gearbox (where the cable would normally be affixed), or possibly even off a propshaft joint, so just because it isnt where it is normally sat..... :0  :t-up:

It's definately an electronic speedo.

Does anybody have a piccy of the transducer, so I can at least see what I'm looking for, if it's not bolted through the large hole by the propshaft ?

I have the manta gearbox on the VX, could the transducer be attached onto this ?

Darren

Is there another alternative, ie bike speedo ?

Yup £15 - £30 and you get speedo (up to 180 mph :0 , time, trip, distance, max speed, av speed etc etc

Enough to work out your lap times :0 (not that you are allowed to time yourself on track days of course ;)  :blush: )

I fitted one to the steering wheel on my old Westy with the sender picking up the magnetic pulses on the front of the propshaft (easy access if your top tunnel plate is rivnutted on) but from experience I recommend that if you do then tape on/use a stronger magnet for better accuracy/reliability.

Hmmmmm....now to fit one on my new Ginetta............

Refurbed%206%20(small%20file%20size).JPG

Steppenwolf - Thanks for the photo.

Do these transducers have to be purchased at Westfield @ £70 ?? If not, does anybody know a part number ? Or even better have a spare one ;)

Darren

someone will come along with more info, but the std speedo is a VDO unit, I would give them a call to see what they recommend. But check who makes your speedo and ring them if different from VDO.

Dave