• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Exhaust "wrap"

ParaWestie

Please excuse my  :durr: , but....

Have seen a number of Westies (and others) with the heat shielding "tape" around the exhaust manifold and down pipes.  Does it realy do any good in reducuing under-bonnet temps?  Is it worth applying? Any tips?

Cheers....

Chris  

???

From various threads on this subject.

Yes it will keep your engine bay temps down but it will also make the rear part of the exhust hotter as the gasses are not being cooled in the manifold. This in itself could cause problems depending on just how hot things get.

I fitted some after running mine up for the first time as I rather shocked at the ammount of heat coming off the exhaust manifold.

The difference is dramatic.

I got mine from Demon Tweaks along with some heat sheath for the clutch cable (Pinto engine, exhaust on the o/s)

You'll also need some stainless steel ties to secure it with.

It's easy to fit but you'll need to take your time and you'll need to take the exhaust manifold off also.

I've not noticed any heat issues further down the exhaust but I've not driven the car much yet either.

Oh and push the car outside when you start up first time as the exhaust wrap smokes profusly for a while (one of my neighbours actually thought the car was on fire) :0

Chaz.

I use stainless steel jubilee clips to secure mine. No problems so far (6 years). BUT, make sure you use stainless clips, and NOT mild steel.......

As has been said, the difference is dramatic, and I haven't noticed any adverse effects anywhere on the exhaust downstream of where the wrapping finishes.

If you are going to fit some, wear gloves, a mask, eye protection, and long sleeves/trousers.

Damp it down in some water first, 'cos the dust is horrible.

Don't scratch anything (like your eyes, or your nuts  :0 ) until you've had a damn good shower............

Yes it is very effective, and like others, have not suffered any problems further back down the exhaust.

David

Yes it does drop the heat considerably and does push the heat further down the exhaust system as previously mentioned,but another point to bare in mind is that it will also hold mositure and corroide the pipes(not when running obviously but when left for a while espcially in the winter..when you start the engine the ribbon starts gettin' hot it.. evaperates the mostuire in the rapping and metal... it don't like that!;) and as you will see if you have to  take the rapping off at any point, the bottom raps bond to the manifold and when  trying to remove them they'll take a layer of corrdided metal flakes with it.

This was an option I was looking at with my new V8 as the under bonnet temps are very high mainly because I run underslung exhausts and the cats are hotter than the centre of  the sun!. However, the fan does a great job of keeping the engine temp at around 80-85*c. Altho I've tried water wetter from DT this only dropped it a few *c's so I'm looking at a EWP electric pump.

Out of interest just how hot is it gettin'? what's the engine temp? what fan are you using? is the the  watewr pump working effectively? is there any air in the system?etc,etc etc if the engine temp is ok whats the problem!!

Buzz :cool:

Cheers!!

Its not that it's running too hot, I just thought cooler under-bonnet temps would mean a more efficient engine, cooler intake air and all that?

By the way, it runs on throttle bodies, but doesn't have the classic "hole" in the bonnet for the air filter to "poke" through. (Its factory built) Would it be better exposed to the outside?? Or does it make no difference?

Just thinking along the lines of cooler intake air being better for VRRRRROOOOOMMMM. If you know what I mean!!

We've had this discussion before, so do a search.

Yes cooler intake temps is a worthwhile goal, BUT unless you can measure the difference in intake temps after the fuel has been added, then it's very difficult to get empirical evidence.

There have been some reports that, on the rollers, improvements have been seen. Some claim as much as 10-15bhp, but I reckon it'd be mostly at the top end of the rev range, so not really noticeable from the drivers seat. Again, some will disagree.

My Vx on throbble botties has no hole in the bonnet. If I thought the gains would be significant for something as simple as chopping a hole in the bonnet, I'd do it.........

If I thought the gains would be significant for something as simple as chopping a hole in the bonnet, I'd do it.........

Have you considered the weight saving you would get aswell :p  :p  :devil:  :devil:

David

IIRC, the Cooltek stuff is not as tightly knitted as the Thermo-Tec stuff.

The Cool-Tek product I used lasted about 20 mins, 'cos I couldn't actually get it to wrap nicely around the exhaust...

I have had Thermo-Tec wrap on there for about 5 years, and IMO is a superior product.

1" by 50 metres should be enough for most 4 banger Westfields. The 2" stuff doesn't "do" tight curves very well, and can be difficult to affix satisfactorilly to a Westfield exhaust.

blatman i had no prob's with the cool tek stuff ive done 5500 miles and still going strong

but its the most ichyest stuff in the world i soaked it in a bucket of water for an hour b4 i used it as i was told by some one  

it's not a quick job took few hours for winding and folk in about

jamie