• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

cooloing Problems on pinto

peterpeter

I was at Bassingbourn today. After a few very hard driven sessions, the temp started to creep up to over 105c , then despite backing off and trying to allow cool air in, it rose to 120 plus and lost somw water too.

The fan is working, but its possible the water was low and there wasnt enough coolant. ANyone use any particular cooling agents ?? anyone heard of "water wetter"??

Im not sure if the thermostat needs changing.

If I do are there any types you would recommend to keep the engine cooler.?????

Did you top up the water and try again?

Did you get the same result?

If so, I'll bet you have an air lock. If not, it may be that the hard track action has caused a head gasket failure.

How old, and what spec is the engine?

What type of rad do you have?

What is the thermostat rated to?

I doubt you'd need any specific "extra" cooling products like Water Wetter, but a detailed look at the cooling system as a whole (including what type, and the mix ratio of the coolant used) may shed some light on the possible cause.

What rad have you got  ???  ???

If its just a standard twin core thats fine for general road use but you'll probably need a four core if you wanna keep track temperatures down.

I think it is just a standard twin.

Where can I get a four core???

Can you get lighter ones too ??

I have topped up the coolant and the oil was a bit low too which couldnt have  helped.

Let engine run idling for some time and idle hot temp seems abot 5 c lower now.

Not sure about thermostat, but would you recommend a particular type>??

Engine is a 2.1 pinto with vulcan head.

If you've got a 2.1 Vulcan then you gotta get increased cooling capacity for track days  ;)  ;) and a fan with a manual over-ride switch so you can leave it switched on  ;)  ;)

Westfield used to do a 4 core rad - or perhaps you might be able to modify a Capri 2.8 / 3.0 - Which is what i think they were first fitted to  :)

Not sure if a lightweight Polo rad would be o.k  ???  ???  ???  :(

Polo rad would be fine, IMHO, as would the slightly thicker Golf rad. A search will reveal part numbers and really reasonable prices from German and Swedish........