Wide bodied westy

Dracoro

Hi all.

New user here. Currently run a Honda S2000 which is great. However I do few miles these days so am thinking of getting a Caterham 7/Westfield and a barge for day to day stuff. The car will go on a few track days a year of course! I love the Honda on track days and it's great fun but after Phil Bennett took me out in a caterham R400 I realise that I 'need' to have a 7/wetsy type car :D

I'm 6.4 and 15/16 stone so squeeze into normal 7's (although I am able to actually get in somewhow!;). I also tried a SV which fitted great but I believe they've only been making them a few years so looking at westy's as I'm told they do wide/longer bodied models. I'm basically looking to get a westy in the £5-£8k bracket, something with around 130/140bhp or something easily modified.

Am I likely to get what I want with my budget?

Thanks in advance.

You should be able to get a 16 valve engined (Vx, Zetec or maybe Toyota 4AGE) SEiW (Wide body, independant rear) for that sort of money without too much trouble.

My 1997 factory-built 2 litre Zetec SEiW was about 9k when I bought it last December. Power output is on the order of 150 BHP (it's running on twin 45s).

I'm about 6'2" and 12 / 13 stone. My Westy is a little tight for me around the knees (removeable steering wheel means I can at least get in and out Ok), but apart from that is fine. I doubt the extra height / weight you mention would make a huge amount of difference.

Safest advice is to join the club and get along to a local meet. There will be people there with a variety of cars that you can talk to and decide what you're after in terms of spec. Then it's just a question of seeing what's available.

Welcome aboard! :t-up:

Andy

I'm 6'04" and cough 15 1/2 stone. I have no problems getting in a wide bodied car - a re-moveable steering wheel helps.

When I tried catering vans I found them too tight - they are a lot tighter in every way!

Where abouts in the country are you? There will be somebody near to you with a car that you could try for size..

Dave O.

Caterham copied Westfield  :0  :D  when they brought out the SV - not sure of the comparative dimensions, but if you fit an SV you'll definitely get in a SEW or SEiW Westfield   ;)

next meeting of Surrey Area here on 2nd Sunday in October - come and sit in a couple to make sure  ;)

if you're still struggling some of the Tillet type race seats (unpadded) will create some extra room.

I've got a 1988 narrow car. I'm 6' 3" and - ahem - a little heavier than you. If I'm going for a serious blatting then I take the seat out and sit on the floor!

M