Ordered A New Westie

Captain Colonial

Thanks mate, she's a real nutter all right, roll on indeed!

EDIT: I love the way the hit counter on this thread goes up and up every time a new video or picture gets uploaded, yet few comment... some old softies out there to afraid to out themselves! :p  :D

So c'mon then, update req'd for us old softies.... :t-up:  :D  :D

Indeed, I'm assuming the new avatar means there's been more than one new Westie picked up today?

Yes, picked her up last Sunday.  Sophie is a delight.  Never had a more sunny, loving and happy little dog, or one quite so naughty and smart, problem solving smart.  One minute I'm laughing my socks off for th first time in months, next minute I'm knackered from chasing her around, then I'm welling up thinking about and missing Barkley.  Funny old times.  Losing sleep, watching things getting chewed, exhausted, and never been happier.  What a little charmer.  Already got plans for spring and getting her out for a blat, Westy on Westy action!  Wrapped around her little paw and loving it...

Yes, picked her up last Sunday.  Sophie is a delight.  Never had a more sunny, loving and happy little dog, or one quite so naughty and smart, problem solving smart.  One minute I'm laughing my socks off for th first time in months, next minute I'm knackered from chasing her around, then I'm welling up thinking about and missing Barkley.  Funny old times.  Losing sleep, watching things getting chewed, exhausted, and never been happier.  What a little charmer.  Already got plans for spring and getting her out for a blat, Westy on Westy action!  Wrapped around her little paw and loving it...

Scott,

do you use a crate/cage to aid in puppy training?

I used to think they were unnecessary and a pita, but using one with out last couple of mutts got us to house trained dogs far, far quicker.

Used the right way, (ie not as a punishment)  the pup looks to the cage as a safe haven and soon learns not to cr*p or p*ss in it's own bed... :t-up:  

Our youngest dog (Baloo) was house tranied in superquick time, although the influence of our other 3 dogs probably helped....That's the answer mate, you need another dog... :D  :D  :D

Although Baloo does have a penchant for nicking my socks out of the washing basket, eating them whole and then sh*tting them out....Lost 3 pairs of socks that way. :bangshead:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Hi mate

Thanks for the thoughts!  Yes, we do have her in a crate at night in the bedroom with us, she has a pad at one end and some newspaper at the other if she has to go in the middle of the night.  There's a little moaning for a minute or two, but she settles down and sleeps pretty much through the night.

Happily, she was paper trained in just one day - clever little girl.  There's been a few accidents when she's been excited, but we don't tell her off, just clean it up and praise and reward her when she goes on the paper, which is about 95% of the time.  After she has her second inoculations and is fully protected, we'll work on training her for outside.  But considering she's had such a change in environment, she's doing remarkably well.

By heavens she's a handful though!  Tenacious is the word.  This morning she managed to steal a slipper off my foot and ran away with it behind the couch where I couldn't reach it, making low growling noises as she chewed it (doesn't chew other shoes though).  Occasionally, she brought it out and taunted me with it, only to take it back behind the couch when I tried to get it back.  Took me moving the couch to retrieve the thing.  She also watches TV, particularly likes sports!  But mainly, she is full of affection for everyone, smothering them in kisses as soon as they come through the door.  Sophie is a delight - but one's enough!  And I'm keeping my socks away if that's what happens - you need to feed Baloo some Daz, then he'll sh*t out clean socks! :laugh:

EDIT:  Here's a link to a full size copy of the avatar photo of Sophie.  :)

Sophie is a delight - but one's enough!  And I'm keeping my socks away if that's what happens - you need to feed Baloo some Daz, then he'll sh*t out clean socks!

Glad she's fitting right in... <!--emo&:t-up:

Animals and dogs in particular are such a calming influence on humans.

Suffering really badly with a disk bulge in my back at the moment, (just about to leave the office for another dose of chiropractor!), so I can't walk the dogs as much as normal.  :bangshead:

If I lie on my side on the wooden floor at home to settle my back down, our biggest mutt, (Lippy, Neapolitan mastiff/Dogue de Bordeaux cross, nearly 11 st!) settles down behind me and lays against my bad back...better than a water bottle!  :D  :D

PS I dare not show Mrs L that photo of Sophie...Otherwise we'll end up breaking the cage out of retirement again... :laugh:  :bangshead:  :laugh:

Sorry to hear about your back mate, don't think anything is as painful and such a miserable experience as a bad back. :down:  :bangshead: Hope your man can sort it for you. :t-up:

Know what you mean about hot water bottle, on cold nights Barkley used to jump up on the bed and stomp up to the headboard and burrow under the duvet until he was in my lap, spooning me!  Brilliant hot water bottle!  :laugh:

• 2 months later...

Following several requests, I'm happy to post a short update on Sophie, our new Westie puppy. She had a slight mishap in December when she fell off the couch from a height of 2' after having done a Tigger-like bounce to get on it, and had a minor knee fracture. Happily, she is making a grand recovery and is almost fully back to her loony self. (Thank you, Pet Plan Insurance!)

Sophie is one of the funniest, most loving, happiest and mischeveous puppies I've ever seen, as you can tell from the signature photo. She's brought much joy and delight back into our lives again, and we love her to bits.

Anyway, here's my tip of the day for you - do not let Westie puppies play unsupervised in your back garden, particularly if you're a gardener who loves flowers as Lady Colonial does (I was laughing while this happened, but I didn't think Lady Colonial knew that kind of language). Here's Sophie the "Cooler Queen" in action in the flower bed of Stalag Garden, in the wind, rain, and hail (speakers on please):

• Like 2

Thanks for the resurrection, Capt'n. I missed this first time around being a bit tied up with hospital visits and house building.

Sophie looks wonderful and I can see why you're so pleased.

Nice vid Scott......

Puppies are allowed a bit of licence to get away with this sort of stuff.... :blush::d

Our (just about still a pup) Baloo is now known by his rap/stage name...

After hearing Mrs L repeatedly curse Baloo for chewing something, stealing something, digging something up in the garden etc, etc, my 8 yr old lad now refers to Baloo as "S-face", 'cos he knows he's not allowed to use the expletive that Mrs L does.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It's stuck and now we all refer to Baloo as S-face..... :d :d