Ordered A New Westie

Captain Colonial

Greetings one and all

After checking the finances, looking at our commitments, and after some soul-searching and debate, we have decided to add another Westie to the garage. :t-up:

We put the deposit down today, and will be collecting it from the factory in eight weeks. :cool:

Oh joy and happiness, I hear you cry, another build thread!  Get out the popcorn and beer!  What's the spec? :suspect:

Well, it's white with a black ducted nose, a combination I've always liked.  The power plant is a high-powered, quick-revving, very capable unit hooked up to a live limited slip rear axle.  Beefed-up chassis, low-profile tyres, jointed and adjustable suspension.  No carbon fibre, I'm afraid.  No windscreen, headlights or indicators either, as this one will not be a road-going Westie at all.

The chassis came off the line late yesterday, and while I don't have a photo of it yet, the factory was kind enough to supply a photo of the last ones that were produced to that spec:

k28487d3.jpg

From experience, I have a feeling that the big end might be a bit leaky and unreliable at first, that it may well be a bit heavy on fuel and coolant, and that the horn might go off unannounced and at random too.  Have to be careful not to stress the engine until it's bedded in, so not sure what it will rev to yet.  The special white gel-fur coat will not be that easy to maintain, and of course, there's no seats, either.  But still, I think the new Westie will be a happy addition to the Colonial garage and will provide many miles of joyful journeys. :)  I even anticipate some Westie-in-Westie action! :laugh:  

We can't wait to get it home - her pedigree name is provisionally Sophia Abigail's Spirit of Barkley.  You might remember we lost our Barkley last month after 14 happy years - we wanted his cheekiness to live on with the new Westie.  The three-month gap between Barkley's departure and Sophia's arrival gives us the time to finish accepting and adjusting.  There was no way we weren't going to get another one, and as a friend once told us, the best way to honour the memory of a much-loved pet is to give another one a good home - and that's what we're doing - but we will always miss Barkley:

Anyway, as the new build continues, I will keep updating the thread so you can watch the progress and setbacks, and hope you can tune in to watch the newest Westie's adventures as she goes along the build-up process.  No doubt you wise guys will suggest upgrades and improvements!  Our first face-to-face chassis inspection will be in five weeks from now, and hopefully she'll pass the IVA (Independent Vet Assessment) in mid-October - stay tuned!  :t-up:

Scott  :)

PS: This one is a narrow chassis too! :p  :laugh:

Superb! :t-up:  :t-up:

PS.What does it rev to?  and don't forget the new-fangled stuff comes with emissions control?   :D

Superb! :t-up:  :t-up:

PS.What does it rev to?  and don't forget the new-fangled stuff comes with emissions control?   :D

:D Not sure what she'll rev to yet mate, want to bed in the power plant nice and easy first for a good long life.  Emissions won't be a problem, I'll make sure the pipes are cleared out before testing and avoid putting anything in the fuel tank that causes backfires!  :laugh:

good news scott  :t-up:

don't forget to maintain the running gear

as it can sound very tappety when coasting across laminate or solid flooring  :D  ;)

good news scott  :t-up:

don't forget to maintain the running gear

as it can sound very tappety when coasting across laminate or solid flooring  :D  ;)

:laugh: Thanks Rob, yeah you're right there, I could always tell when Barkley needed his nails cutting, sounded like Fred Astaire tap dancing across the kitchen floor! :laugh:

I believe that model comes with a Straight Thru Exhaust...  Great post.

I believe that model comes with a Straight Thru Exhaust...  Great post.

Absolutely right - thankfully, it's got a permanent silencer that never needs repacking! :laugh:

Well done Captain, still pondering whether to replace our Bedlington Terrier, too near the holidays at the moment but think the patter of tiny paws won't be long in coming afterwards.

Yes, same here, but did the research to find the right breeder from the right home environment and right background that would be ready after our hols.  My new puppy has 16 different champions in its background, and they're  known for their friendly, non-yappy nature. Hope you give another one a good home as soon as you can.

Know what you mean with the research on the breeder, our last 2 have been rescue dogs and very much a case of you get what you get, but hey everyone deserves a second chance even abused/neglected dogs, but thats enough about me now what about this new puppy  :D  :D

Know what you mean with the research on the breeder, our last 2 have been rescue dogs and very much a case of you get what you get, but hey everyone deserves a second chance even abused/neglected dogs, but thats enough about me now what about this new puppy  :D  :D

I admire people who take on rescue dogs, good on you sir! :t-up:

More info on Sophia will be available later this week, along with photos - it's a build thread I hope you all enjoy. :)

Make sure you get her fitted with some wet weather gear..

Ooooo, hadn't thought of that, good point!

Well done Cap'n - excellent news.  Will read build diary with great interest.   :t-up: