Newbie - which car - please help!

markhall

You've probably had this question before, but here goes...  I'm looking to buy a westie for the usual weekend/sunny evening spins and ocassional trackday/hillclimb.  My problem is that I want the best of both worlds as I don't know what I'll end up doing more.  Do I buy a car which is set up for more track use (dry sump etc) or get a good road car, and upgrade in time if I decide to do more and more track days.  I've driven a factory spec (standard) 2L Zetec car which to be honest, didn't do much for me in a straight line (cornering was a different story!!;) - compared with the 'toy' I've just sold is a well spec'd Cosworth with 350 lb/ft - although it's much heavier than the westie it feels quicker.  My current shorlist is a V8 (love the note) or a Megabusa (wife friendly???) - I know that they are very different but I'm in a pickle and need help/guidance for a good nights sleep. :zzz:

Welcome Mark.

If you are looking to do trackdays/hillclimbs etc, I reckon you would probably be better buying a car that has been dry sumped. As a rule, a well set up Westy on good rubber will suffer with oil surge, which as you probably appreciate, wrecks engines. And it would be a real downer to have to replace the engine and dry sump it to boot.... :0

For a good all rounder, may I suggest that you look at cars with 4 pot 16v motors. IMO they will probably offer the best 'all round' answer to your requirements. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the engine choices you have mentioned, and you would be wise to go and have a look at cars with different motors and experience how they behave first hand. In fact, the best bet would be to get down to a local club meet, you are bound to find a good variety of cars there. Or otherwise, make your way to Doninington kit car show, and have a chat with some of the owners there. You will also be able to join the club there too....    :p

I run a Megabusa and I have to say that my wife loathes it with a passion (probably as she sees the bills...). However, with the rev-limiter left at home, on a sunny day, it really is the business and it's superb on tracks.

The downside is that it's quite frustrating to drive on the road - slow cars get in the way, the on/off clutch is tiresome in traffic and it's not happy to potter at under 3,000rpm.

If you want a track car with occasional road trips take the Busa, if you plan on doing a good proportion of road miles and the odd track day then go for a CEC.

Another point to make is that a competitive track car will be horrendous on the road, while equally a well sorted road car may be frustratingly off the pace.

I run a Vx powered car.  I have similar power to weight ratio to the bec boys  (390 bhp/tonne) :devil:  :D plus drivability!!! I use my car for a lot of road miles (about 10,000), I quite often commute in it and some track days.  i hope to compete in it for a few events next year (its already dry sumped).

the missus loathes it with a passion that sometimes takes my breath away (when she kicks me in the nadgers  :( )

thats probably cos i dont have any creature comforts and drive like a loon  :devil:  :D  :devil:

I would say buy the fastest 16V engine you can afford  and then take it from there.

HI Mark

Thanks for calling in:)

next time its dry and ive got 1/2 anhour expect a knock at the door or we'll arrange something via Email M8

sorry if I confused you even more but I can guess by my enthusiam about BEC's im a little ? (erm....Lot biased)

but you never mentioned a rev limiter to me (code ;) )

I think I did mirror what most have said already about engine choices but with a bit leaning (heavily!;) also towards a 16v

motor of the bike kind :blush:

the only thing I dont have probs with as far as a BEC is concerned is driving in traffic

as you live very close the type of traffic we encounter cant be compared with living in/close to a city (cos we definately dont! lol)

all engines have their pros and cons and as all the cars have so different specs its always going to be a bit of a juggle of what best suits you

you'll love it whatever it is so its just of matter of finding one

and like mentioned earlier I'll come and have a look with you when the time comes

all the best

Trev

Thanks for your advice (I need all I can get!!;).  It's good to hear peoples experiences with different types of power, but I think it's going to take a bit of time before I make what I think will be the right decision.  I've joined the club (a step in the right direction!;) - and will probably have many questions for you more experienced owners over the coming weeks.  Staying confused for now!!!!

ps (big thanks for your patience to Trev - look forward to a spin down the flats  :D )

I think the differing answers go to show that whatever choice you make, chances are that you will fall in  :love: with it, with whatever downfalls it may have. And every engine choice has it's downfalls, whatever people may tell you.

The choice you have to make is whether the good bits outweigh the bad bits.

Oooh yeah. And the cost of potential upgrades.

Because whatever you do choose, probably sooner rather than later you will be wanting to make it faster.....   :cool:  ;)  :D  :t-up:

I say the same to you as Stubarter. - So see my reponse (and every one else's as they are connected). Happy hunting!!

However, shortly after buying my busa I saw this absolute bargain. If it is still there - SNAP IT UP NOW!! after checking out of course?

There is so much for so little in the car. Every other add was £16k+.

http://www.findit.co.uk/cars/westfield/748922.htm

I have a MegaBusa

Do loads of track days in it, have driven some high spec CEC Westies on track recently. Not that much diference in out right pace but I much prefer the way my Busa goes about it's bussines.

I personaly dont get the driving this type of car on the road, but thats me. If I wanted a road car with maybe one or two track days a year, would probably  go for an Elise or another TVR.

But as I do about 2000 track miles and about 200 road miles, The Megabusa is awesome and getting better with every pound I spend on it :-)

Bazzer

Mark,

Where are you based? I'd suggest getting along to a local meet and speak to some owners, have a few passenger rides, maybe come along to a track day.

I have a 1.8l Zetec, 174bhp, with a decent baffled sump (not dry) and that seems to suit me fine as a track and road car.

I drive it to track days, blat all day and drive home. You have to balance road/gearbox/trannie/performance noises/sounds!

regards,

Greg

Greg,

I live in South Wales (stones throw away from Pembrey circuit), so the nearest meeting is quite a travel - however one of the guys on this site - Trev (see above posting) has a BEC and lives approx a mile or so away from me, and there are a few other 'locals' with westy's, there may be enough (just!!;) for a small local meeting.  After reading many articles, I'm starting to tend towards the 'busa option but I change my mind like the wind!!.  The only thing I can say for definite is that my final decision (whenever that may be) will be Westfield (dismissed the others 7's for a variety of reasons).  

A few years ago my wife complained that I was too impulsive - now I cant make my mind up about anything!!! ???

ps when & where is the next track day??

ps when & where is the next track day??

Bit of a trek for you, but a number of people (including me :))will be at Keevil (Wiltshire) on September 22nd.

Andy