• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Help - Stripped threads on bonnet catch!

Justhe1

Have listed this post on newbies as well as techie talk (sorry) as not sure which is the best place..

Driving new car home yeaterday the left hand side bonnet on my 1800 Sport kept coming undone.

Its got a key latch type arrangement.

Anyway tried adjusting the position of the clasp fixed to the body with allen nuts and after two attemps to move slightly both nuts will now not tighten up and appera to have stripped  

I can't seem to get any access to the underside of this catch - it appears to be enclosed.

I'm desperate to get out in it - help please! (Oh and simple explanataions please - I'm not too mechanically minded and dont have access to a garage load of tools  !

???

Is this on lock barrel? (the bolt that goes into the back of the lock assy?)

If so you'r basically b*******d and will probhably need two new lock barrels.

You should be able to get replacements from a decent locksmith.

HTH Chaz.

ISTR that this area is indeed a no access one. I would guess that the original was fitted to the chassis with RIVNUTS although the manual ( and my own build ) describes the fitting with RIVETS.

I guess you have three options if the threads have gone in rivnuts:-

1. obtain a suitable tap and clean up the thread ( if necessary, drill out and re-tap with the next size up ).

2. drill out the centre of the rivnut and pop rivet the bracket to it using the larger hole.

3. drill out the rivnut and replace it with new.

The disadvantage of 1., is that the threads will be weakened

The disadvantage of 2., is that you will lose the ability to adjust ( although I got this right  with careful measurement )

Assmuning that rivnuts were indeed used originally, 3. is the best solution.

Cheers,

As I thought, a no access area!!

It is indeed the rivnuts thread that has gone that the allen adjuster bolts thread into - I shall try and rethread with larger bolts (with care!!;)

Othyer than that I was given a set of rubber "race straps?"

I gather these if fixed in addition to the lock barrels will give better fixing power, even if they dont look too clever.. ???  !