• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

vx engine rebuild

mark.anson

Im currently stripping down my newly aquired vx engine for a rebuild.As I dont have much history on the engine,and want to remove the crank for lightening and ballancing, I have decided to renew all the beg end bearings etc.

I have recieved a catalogue from QED and scared myself silly when I added up the costs.Bearing in mind I will be fitting one of thier Q42H kits, Vernier pulleys etc.

I was already aware that I should fit ARP rod bolts but have been told that you have to countersink the end caps by 1mm when you do this.Is this correct as it sounds a bit daunting to me.

Any other tips on the rebuild and the QED kits would be apprieciated.

speak to mr mason 01477 537792 eve's

Q42H cams do not *need* verniers. Mine have the standard Vx pulleys on them, and they're absolutely fine........so save some money there.........

Mark,

this is correct about countersinking the conrod caps by 1mm (if you look at the bolts you will see there is a shoulder just below the head)

i was going to do this myself, but thought better of it and decided to take them to engineering shop.....when i get around to it.........(still trying to explain to missus why 8 bolts cost so much) :)

I didn't need to when I did mine, the sholder fitted perfectly into the end caps.

Checked with my local Rolling Road tuners and they said they only do it if the bolt 'binds' in the end cap... some do some don't aparently...

Check when you do the job...

...©

Had me worried when i read about the counter sinking, I never did that but the bolts seated correctly without the need to machine.

Is there a specific year of manufacture that these caps need the machining to fit the bolts?

I didn't need to when I did mine, the sholder fitted perfectly into the end caps.

Checked with my local Rolling Road tuners and they said they only do it if the bolt 'binds' in the end cap... some do some don't aparently...

Check when you do the job...

...©

Ditto charlie and thats with both engine rebuilds

Buzz :cool:

Thanks folks,

Ill see how the bolts fit when they arrive.

Glen,You are either a very lucky, or brave man having the bottle to tell the wife how much the bolts cost.

I have deliberatly hidden the QED catalogue in my garage, in case mine sees the cost of the throttle body kit.

Mark;)