• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Mesh Wind Deflector

Chester

Was at Donnington on Sunday and saw another Westfield with a mesh type screen in the roll bar area - bit like the ones you see on Mercs and Boxters etc.

Does anyone know if these things work?

If so has anyone made one for their Westfield?

Any chance of sharing your design and fitting techniques?

Thanks

Mark

Mark

Was it green with a yellow nose and a yellow roll bar?

If so it was mine.

Sorry but I cannot comment on whether it was better before or after as I bought it with it on.

It looks quite simply made with the mesh held taught buy aluminium rods and rubber pipe bent in an L shape joining them all together at each corner. Its then attached to the roll bar with cable ties.

If you want any more info I will be pleased to help.

On a similar topic I saw quite a few with perspex side quarter deflectors. Are these a good wind deflector replacement for the full side screen. Can can these be bought off the shelf or are these home made? I asked at the Westfield stand and they said they dont supply these.

I think its now time to fill out my membership form.

Stuart

Stuart, the side deflectors are either home made or bought from a co called uno plas on 01902791901 they are approx £50 excluding the fittings which come from westfield i dont know how good they are although i am after a set myself (pref cheapish) also a guy called steve was selling them at donnington for about £60.00 didnt get his number though  ???

Just to add i think unoplas also make the rear deflector as well

The side wind deflectors don't seem to make any difference at all... All the wind comes off the rear wheel arch and across rather than diagonally... I am going to have my doors cut in half and zipped to see if that makes a difference.

The only thing the plastic wind deflectors seem to help with is stopping cow-pat spray off the front wheels when turning right hitting you in the face... it hits your sholder instead :o

Interested if the mesh across the roll bar makes any difference tho!!

...©

I beg to differ charlie.   Sedsy and i swapped cars for a blat last week, and I have deflectors, he doesn't.   I reckon they make a big difference.   I can easily do a ton in mine, and still breathe!

The car I saw with the rear mesh deflector had the deflector fitted to the rollbar with screws tapped into the roll bar.I was talking to the owner trying to persuade him to make and sell the screens as I would definatly buy one as I get alot of fumes from my rear exiting exhaust.

Barry

Ther are 2 styles of side screens, very large ones from top of screen to below waist line. Then there are the smaller ones about screen depth. These are the ones I have. They are ok up 50mph over 50 to XXXmph not a lot of good. (but better than nowt) Available from Sarik Vacform in Bristol 0117 9326537 cost £30 pair 'ish + fittings from Westfield at about £18 pair if I remember correctly.

SWMBO really hates the back draft if there is any chill in the air whatsoever (i.e. most of the time).  So, I almost got Aldridge Trimming interested in making me one of these about 2 years ago, but ultimately they went quiet on me.  If, say, 6 or more people are interested I could perhaps have another go at them.

I don't know if they work, though - keep meaning to wrap some clingfilm around the rollbar to see but haven't got round to it yet.

Hi

I had a talk to the guy who made his own to fit the rollbar.

He had used "speaker mesh" and fabricated his own steel frame (painted black) to fit into the rollbar. It was secured with blind nuts. He said it took him ages, rear view was poor, but wind deflection was worth it.

Sidescreen man was Steve 01926 512312.

hope this helps

Rob :D

The side wind deflectors don't seem to make any difference at all... All the wind comes off the rear wheel arch and across rather than diagonally

I have the Unoplas deflectors on my prelit with clamshell wings and they make all the difference in the world - quite buffet free, able to breath, talk etc at 70 and maybe faster than that but how would I know.....

I also have a nifty way of holding the deflectors in to the side of the body without drilling holes in the scuttle with bits of wire etc, if anybody wants to know.

Vernon

My deflectors are little plastic quarterlights that go into the same mounts as the doors, so kind-of extend the windscreen a bit.

You can swing the deflectors around, at low speed they make a difference when swung out, but anything above 50 and there is no percievable difference between swung out and swung in!

...©

I would be interested in knowing if the mesh rear screen works,

I spoke to a stall holder at Donnington who will make them for about £50. You supply him with a paper template of the inside cut out of the rollbar , along with any seatbelt mounts that may be in the way , & he will make it to that. They are made up of a vinyl frame (in what ever color you want) with a black mesh. They are held in place by vinyl loops & velcro. With them being vinyl you can easily remove it & roll it up & store it in the car if you needed to.

Like I said , I can't comment on how well they work , but would be interested to know.

Contact M&M Classic Car Components Tel: 01775 640423.

Cheers

:t-up: