• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Pre viewing queries from a newbie!

Justhe1

Hi all,

Been toying with the idea of getting a replacement for the bike to take me into next year and have been looking at Westfields..

Am off to view one on Sunday, just wondered if there are a few pointers to look, ask for as this gendre of motoring is to to me!!

It will be my 2nd (or 3rd) car so weeknend fun only.

car I've seen is a "52" reg 1800 sport with only 750 miles on it, looks superb in the pics Ive been emailed and its up for £10k ish - seems a good deal to me, can anyone confirm this, car looks immaculate, but won't know for sure till I view it in the flesh...

I believe its pushing 160BHP, disks all round, quickrack, twin 40', quickshift,LSD etc, I gather these are the norm?!

Only thing is car has flared arches and I get the impression that "cycle wings" are more popular, can these be changed fairly easily/cheaply..?

Any advice greatly reveived prior to my viewing!!

It's done so few miles that I can't believe much will be wrong with it *IF* it was assembled correctly  ;)  that's the thing with these cars, they're only as good as the person who originally built it..........so have a good look underneath to check it's been put together right (by the way, if you think the rear lights don't look the same height don't worry, they all look like that  :D ) an 1800 Zetec on 40s will be around 150bhp and in a car of this weight will be plenty quick enough but you can always make it go faster later......

regarding changing to cycle wings, yes, they are more popular as people like seeing the front wheels go up and down but they don't make the car any quicker so why not try it for a few weeks (if you buy it! ) and then decide - you can change to cycle wings later and if you do a search you'll find out how to do it and what some people have done about the now redundant line of bolt holes in the body   :cool:

of course, if you do buy it then you only have to worry about how long it is before upgraditis strikes and you start strapping on fuel injection etc  :p  :D

good luck!   oh, and yes the price is about right  ;)

Welcome aboard!

Normal advice applies, join the club. You're unlikely to regret it.

Also, what area are you in? Might be worth trying to get a look at a few club members cars just to get a feel for the variation in the various models / engines.

Andy

Cheers for the help guys!,

I'm near St Ablans, Herts.  

The one main niggling thought is whether to "jump" in at this level, ie should I be spending £10k on a car or should I be "learning the ropes" with an older, cheaper model??

Main train of thought is that I was originally looking at TVR's but have decided against it for the time being, and even at £10k that's a lot less than I was originally looking at!!

What are the residuals like for these cars, do they hold up pretty well or am I likely to take a battering if I sold it after a year/18 months...? :0  ???

Sorry for all the questions, just nervous excitement i guess :p !

With so few mile on the clock you are bound to take a battering on the residual if you sold in 18months time with 5K on the clock. Everything is relative though and whereas an older car might hold it's value better even this new car will still hold it's valuea dn you would probably still get 8.5 or 9 depending on time of year for that car with 5K on the clock.

If it were me, then I would be looking for something older as a first car. Maybe not cheaper by much but one that's had some bedding in miles.

Maverick is my 2nd Westy and I bought it with just over 1000 miles on the clock. I've had a few things to sort out that have come about from bedding in.

For that money you could get a higher spec car with more miles on it, less depreciaition and less 'just built' niggles. If that makes sense.

For sure, get along to your local meet and do some tyre kicking, it's well worth the effort and most of the time someone will offer to come along and look with you or even know the car you're looking at

HTH

Si

Agree with Si about an 'older' car. Mine is a 1997, and factory built. So at least I knew that when I bought it (December last year) any teething problems had been resolved, and I was at least fairly sure it had all been put together properly.

Get yourself along to a meet, and see if you can take someone who knows Westfields along when you go to view cars (thanks again Si ;)). That way they'll know the sort of things that tend to be done wrong.

Andy

Main train of thought is that I was originally looking at TVR's but have decided against it for the time being, and even at £10k that's a lot less than I was originally looking at!!

Having got very close to a TVR ( i.e. helped to resolve various isues with one ) when I was considering buying one myself, I decided that they were just 'kit cars' and not very well put together at that! The advantage of a Westfield is that it will probably start ( and run! ) every time you use it whereas a TVR will become very friendly with the nearest dealer ....... They do look sooooo nice though!

The price of the one you are looking at seems about right and provided it is well put together ( you MUST check this ) should give you an amazing amount of pleasure.

The advice about going to a local Westfield group meeting is very sound - I wish I hadn't waited until I had completed the build.

at some point trackdayitis will also strike - and the repair cost of a Westfield is a fraction of a TVR. Whether it's the engine that let's go or a corner that needs rebuilding.

M

Cheers for all the help so far, good to meet a friendly bunch!!

Unfortunately Sunday will be busy viewing then family stuff, but will def get to one soon!

Had a top offer from a club member called Phil local to me, which i will hopefully take up - Thanks again Phil, much obliged!!  :) !

The bug has well and truly bitten - just thinking now that I do want cycle wings and removable rears, hm its started allready!!

J