Value for money

Nigel D

I recently agreed to buy a 1995 Westfield with a 1700 Xflow engine. The bodywork was a bit rough as was the interior.

But the engine was stage 2 with twin 40's. The agreed price was £4450. I did'nt try the car at the time (no tax or insurance). When I went to collect the car I went for a test drive before paying up. I found the engine had a bad missfire and was smoking quite badly after a 2 mile drive. The owner said he would find out what the problem was and let me know if I was interested. He's now solved the problem, the engines been rebuilt at a cost of over £1000. He now whats to sell the car for £5250. I'd like some advice as to if the car is still value for money or not , or should I be looking elsewhere.

Gut feeling is saying go spend your money elsewhere.... :t-up:

You can find some fantastic cars for that kind of money...i.e with tidy bodywork, engine, interior etc, even if most cars for that kind of money are a little older. But if an older car 'is' in good condition, then its going to of been loved..... :love:

IMHO of course.....

strikes me that if it was £4450 with rough body and interior but the engine was 'ok' then it should still be that figure as rebuilding it to fix a problem hasn't made it any better, just made it run properly  ;)  :D

you could build one for not much more money and youd know it inside out.it can be done for that kind of money just ask tony wright! one very tidy car for sensible money. ;)

Sounds a bit on the steep side compared with what I looked at when I bought mine a few months back. I looked at a 1990 se with a tuned 1700 X-flow needing minor tidying for 4k. Eventually bought 1990 SeiW with 2.1 pinto 7500 miles and only 6000 on fresh engine for 4k. Body has some minor crazing in places to the gel coat but nothing too bad.

If you hold out something will turn up.