Metalistic bushes

JamesEd

Finally, after days of sweat and tears, I've managed to insert the four metalistic bushes into the diff mountings. I've just checked the clearance for the 317mm diff stud to pass over the chassis through the top two bushes. It won't push through!

I've got a very horrible feeling there are two sizes of metalistic bushes - one for the suspension (7/16" i.d.) and one for the diff mounts (slightly larger i.d. at 12mm).

Am I right here? If so this is a major catastrophe. Does the build manual mention this?

I want to cry.   :(

James

Minor warning note slightly off immediate topic - check that the top mounting boss in the diff. does indeed have a hole going all the way through!! Not all do as I discovered - so mine is attached with 2 x M12 65mm bolts which bolt into the threaded bosses in the top of the casing.

the bushes for the diff mount should have white paint on them. all is not lost though you can drill/ream the nole in the bush out. you'll need to get another four bushes to replace the normal sized ones you've just used.

if you want standard ones i might have some lying aroung you can have if you want to let me know. :t-up:

Mine were marked with yellow paint. If I recall correctly, I think it was mentioned in the manual, or I read it somewhere on a webpage as I was careful not to mix them up.

It was a real PITA to get them in, I totally agree. Sanding the holes and polishing the outside of the bushings made it a little bit easier, as well as greasing them before insertion (imagine how I found that out ;) )

You can see some pics here under "2003-08-06 & 07"-heading:

http://www.kallerman.com/westfield

Good luck!