The New Westfield Project - one year on......

fatbaldbloke

The last 2+ weeks since the last post have seen a touch of elation, perspiration and frustration.  Firstly I've converted my laptop to run Linux as the operating system and I'm quite impressed so far.  This will be the first post with photos prepared in Gimp (Linux's equivalent to Photoshop).  With a name like that it has to be fun...

So, the frustration has been all centred on the electric reverse.  The kit arrived and I fitted it as suggested.  Basically there's a gear ring that bolts to the diff flange and a starter motor that engages when you want to go backwards.  

mbstarter1.jpg

However, the starter supplied didn't fit that well, with a little bit of underhang...(and understatement!):

mbstarter2.jpg

The supplier has accepted it needs an axial starter and is sourcing one.  They've promised me one to try, together with a smaller gear wheel later this week, so there's potentially progress to be made soon.

In the meantime, as well as repairing the chassis cracks (thanks, Windy) I've rubbed down all the jaded coating, removed the rivnuts I shan't be using and welded up the holes, stripped the coating off the wishbones, covered the whole lot with 3 coats of POR15 and carefully reassembled.

mblrsusp1.jpg

mbrrsusp1.jpg

The complete rear end:

mbrsusp1.jpg

And with the new injection tank in place:

mbrsusp2.jpg

I've also made a nice new fuel pump bracket and there's new fuel lines waiting to be fitted but I'm waiting until the reversing motor is in place so I can route them around it.  There's also a rear ARB to be fitted when I'm certain the diff doesn't need removing yet again (mind you I'm getting quite proficient now as it's already been in and out 3 times).

I'm half expecting to have to remove the diff again to weld in the reversing starter brackets but I had to fit it so I can move the car and get on with another area.  I think I'll probably make a start on the front end next.

Still waiting for the new reverse motor, so I've moved onto the front end now.  I've removed the water rad, oil cooler, header tank, pipes, dry sump tank, etc.  I need to make the bracketry a bit more robust to cope with roads rather than tracks, I also need to give it a bit more cooling to cope with traffic and so on.

mbfrontend1.jpg

Anyway, here it is with most of the bits removed.  (Still to sort out the wiring but at least I've worked out the colour coding - if it's not red it's black - simples   :) )

mbfrontend2.jpg

The front suspension will be coming off as well for a good check over, a clean and a coat of paint.

Bit more progress in the last few days.  Started to strip out the front suspension starting with the left hand side.

Here it is "as received", hopefully it will look better in a week or so   :)

mbleftwishold1.jpg

And here it is with virtually everything removed apart from the steering rack which will be coming off for a check plus new gaiters and a coat of paint tomorrow.  I've also drilled or ground out the various rivnuts and pop rivets the chassis has spawned over the years and welded the holes up so the tubes are more or less back in pristine condition, or at least they will be after a good couple of coats of por-15.  

mbleftwishold2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Been busy on the front half over recent weeks.  Stripped out pretty much everything other than the engine.  Cleaned the chassis, removed all the unwanted rivnuts, welded up the holes and painted it all with a couple of coats of por-15.

The suspension and steering's been checked over.  One of the lower wishbones was bent as was one of the track rod extensions.  I managed to buy a spare pair of lower wishbones and my good chums at work knocked up a new pair of extensions.  I've also added some spacers to the rose joint fittings to give them more articulation for the road.

There are new steering rack gaiters and I've replaced the DS3000 pads with M1144's as the former aren't road legal (I'll use them on a track day).  I've also cleaned and rebuilt the brake and clutch master cylinders which were showing signs of slow seepage (most probably from the hose fittings to the remote reservoirs).

Anyway, there are loads more detail tweaks I could waffle on about but a couple of pictures are worth a thousand words...

mbleftfront.jpg

mbfronton.jpg

mbleftfront2.jpg

Next I'm going back to the rear end.  I now have all the bits for the electric reverse so I shall be fabricating some brackets for that and at the same time I'll add some reinforcement around the diff.  Then, back to the front to fit the rad and oil cooler and all the system hoses and fittings.  My aim is to have all the mechanical work complete by the end of the month.  Then I'll give myself November to sort out the dash, wiring and general electrics.  I should have the winter then to work on the bodywork and make the various carbon bits.  Still on course for an Easter "launch".

Ian

just caught up on your read all looking really good, its a bit late now but may be of assistance as you talk about making brackets. There is a good powder coater in MK for small batch powder coating not too far from your works. As example just had wide track shotblasted and powder coated for £30, if you are interested then drop me a pm or and  email

keep up the posts, must admit a BEC looks interesting

Chris

its looking good! Is that nicks old car? Where did you get the reverse kit from and if you dont mind how much for the lot? My cars getting a rebuild this winter. Mainly engine and transmission

Where did you get the reverse kit from and if you dont mind how much for the lot?

There's a bit of a saga with the reverse kit.  It's come from AB Performance (Andy Bates of Dragons Den fame).  The kit itself consists of a ring gear that fits onto the diff flange plus a high spec geared starter motor.  The starter originally supplied didn't really fit into the available space (there's some photos earlier in the thread).  In fairness to Andy they usually fit these to race cars and intruding into the passenger space isn't  an issue, but I wanted something a bit neater.  Together with Andy we sourced a different starter from Brise which is an axial unit and looks as though it will do the job.  I'm going to get on with it now, design some bracketry to mount it and take plenty of photos which I'll post up here and send back to Andy.  I believe Andy's plans if it all works out OK are to offer it as a kit specific to Westfields, but I'm not sure.  In terms of cost I'd estimate around £600 - £700.

Its coming a long nicely Ian...keep the pickys rolling in. Now its back to the rather painful view of Englands woeful 1st half performance against France :blush:

Buzz

Its coming a long nicely Ian...keep the pickys rolling in. Now its back to the rather painful view of Englands woeful 1st half performance against France :blush:

Buzz

Hang on Buzz, it ain't over yet...... :bangshead:  :D

Lovely work on the car BTW FBB... :t-up:

Where did you get the reverse kit from and if you dont mind how much for the lot?

There's a bit of a saga with the reverse kit.  It's come from AB Performance (Andy Bates of Dragons Den fame).  The kit itself consists of a ring gear that fits onto the diff flange plus a high spec geared starter motor.  The starter originally supplied didn't really fit into the available space (there's some photos earlier in the thread).  In fairness to Andy they usually fit these to race cars and intruding into the passenger space isn't  an issue, but I wanted something a bit neater.  Together with Andy we sourced a different starter from Brise which is an axial unit and looks as though it will do the job.  I'm going to get on with it now, design some bracketry to mount it and take plenty of photos which I'll post up here and send back to Andy.  I believe Andy's plans if it all works out OK are to offer it as a kit specific to Westfields, but I'm not sure.  In terms of cost I'd estimate around £600 - £700.

yowch! thats a lot. id figured on

a. @ £100 for the ring gear

b. @ £200 for the starter kit [dunno where from]

c. £200 ish for the new prop

d. re sell the old gearbox and prop to re coup some outlay.

of course there will be small stuff to buy somewhere and you saw the same issue i saw - where to fit the starter - the top is blocked by the handbrake assembly - so go low - yep goes thro the floor too low. grrr.

had thought about putting the starter next the engine end on the top but havnt measured that yet.