The New Westfield Project - one year on......

fatbaldbloke

will keep popping in to see how you are getting on  :cool:

from personal experiance the easy bit is pulling it to bits  :blush:

A good car (well it will be - again) - me thinks you have done well it secure its ownership!

Done quite a lot today resulting in a mixture of good and bad, but not totally unexpected, news really.

Set off with the aim of removing the side panels and tunnel panels.  The side panels had some holes where the cage was fitted and as I plan to fit an electric reverse I had to expose the propshaft and diff nose.

That all went really well, only had to drill out around 400 pop rivets and clean off the Sikaflex...

mb23071104.jpg

mb23071105.jpg

mb23071106.jpg

The bad news, but not unexpected to be honest considering the car's history, was that both lower forward diff mount chassis tubes are cracked.

mb23071101.jpg

mb23071102.jpg

I'll need a bit of help with these as my welding isn't up to structural stuff.  I've posted in Techie Talk to see if there's anyone who can help either with the welding or getting the chassis over to, I guess, Northampton Motorsport.

Nevertheless, every cloud has a silver lining.  I was in two minds whether to strip down the rear end and tidy up the wishbones etc and this has made the decision for me.   I shall get it properly braced so it doesn't happen again also.

I guess you need to get all the holes welded up anyway.

I can re-use the pop rivet holes when I fit the new side panels and tunnel panels, and I'd trust my welding for the odd patch where the cage was fitted, but this needs to be properly repaired and braced.  I'm thinking NMS would be the best bet.  I've dropped them an email. I just need to work out how I can get it there (probably borrow/hire towcar and trailer).

I'm not surprised, I'm actually quite chirpy that everything else looks pretty good.

Ian. See reply on tech thread

Nick

Chassis repair potentially sorted, many thanks to Nick and Windy.  

Today's task is removing the fuel tank (a job I always approach with some trepidation - probably best that way) and if there's time I'll pull the diff and clean up all round the rear end as well.

Bit of a wait then until the electric reverse kit arrives.

FBB

How do you fancy that tunnel top in Carbon? I bumped into a chap the other day local to me who has just started making carbon parts for motorbikes and was up for making some parts out of carbon for Westfield's and the like as well.

He said if there was something to take a mould off, and he can sell 6 parts off the mould, he'd be up for it.

I'd be interested in one.

I already have a mould for the tunnel top.

Sounds like there already is one  ???

Not carbon specifically, but I must admit it's something I've always fancied; currently I just use the handbrake as an armrest, but the Caterham style solution always looks a lot comfier, saves bashing your elbow on the adjuster cogs on the back of the handbrake too.  :blush:  :(

He said if there was something to take a mould off, and he can sell 6 parts off the mould, he'd be up for it.

If you want to put him in touch I'm happy to see if there's anything we can do.

Here's the tunnel top I made for the last Westfield incidentally:

Tunneltop011.jpg

My plan at the moment incidentally is to make carbon sides and top to the tunnel, also a carbon pedal cover (I've made one of those before but the mould wasn't so good and I had to do quite a lot of fettling so I was going to start from scratch again).  I'm planning on making the tunnel sides in a couple of pieces as I want to make the rear section removeable in case the electric reverse needs any servicing.

Looks like plenty to get stuck into Ian, hope you enjoy it!

Will keep checking back for updates, keen to see how it progresses :)