• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

hi guys

stuartam

hi, guys i have a few questions if you would indulge me.

i am looking at getting a westey for racing and track days ( mainly circuit racing ) and want to know what you guys think is the best car for a newbe to start with.

im not worried about it being road worthy but rather something thats going to be a nice track car.

i have never built my own car so that needs to be taken into account, and i dont even know what class's there are to race it in.

any advice and info given would be greatly received

I'd go for a Fireblade-engined one or an R1-engined version. Very light, great fun, easy to work on and, when the engine eventually goes pop you can simply dunk another in for under £1,000. Probably the cheapest way to own one is to build it yourself and source your parts with care.

I run a Hayabusa-engined version which is even more fun but isn't as cost effective - the engine needs dry sumping for track use (£1,000) and replacements engines are hard to find and costly (£2,500-£3,000).

Downside to BECs is that the clutches are tricky around town and they're not happy pottering at under 3,000 revs (well the Hayabusa certainly isn't). But at 10,000 rpm on a twisty road in the sun you wouldn't want to be in anything else...

If you do intend to use it as a weekend road car, then I'd probably favour a car-engined one but I'm not the best person to advise you on these.

thanks for the reply

so an SEIW would be the thing to go with, using a fireblade engine.

what sort of cost do you think i should be looking at spending to get me to the track with a nice car :D

regards

I think before you make any desicions as to which car to build you firm up exactly which race series you want to do.

This way you will be able to search for a car that fits within the regs of the series you want to do.  The best route I could suggest is to get out to watch all of the race series that you are considering and have a long chat with the drivers about what you realy need to have on the car and the budgets you will need.

Once you have made this desicion you will have also found out what car you need to buy.

HTH

Rob