• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Tips on looking after our megabusa

R.B

keep it meticulously clean and polished that way you will become aware of any problems immediately.

polishing a car focuses you far more on the surface than washing does!

see steppenwolf for tips on borderline 'anal' cleaning techniques :D  :D

With regard to mechanicals, its still a car no matter how you look at it so what you'd normally do...oil water, tyres..

I'm sure some BEC boys will be along to highlight more busa specifics.

The advice I got from an ex-Suzuki race team mechanic are that the GSXR family of engines are just about bulletproof so long as you change the oil and oil filter very frequently (twice as often as the manual recommends)   ;)  :cool:

Check to dry sump system regularly?

For BECs in general... change the oil & filter at frequent intervals, check the transimission bolts every 500 miles or so, check the RGB oil at the same time, first sign of clutch slip change the springs so not to ruin the friction/plain plates (assuming the plates were in good condition to start with), other than that, as Jonny Boy says - a car is a car.

JC

With my Megabusa the only mechanical problems have been a reverse gearbox failure (the main weak link) and problems with welds snapping on the Westfield dry sump pump and the clutch slave cylinder.

The other thing you need to know is that the Hayabusa engine vibrates loads and a simple rule of thumb is that you can guarantee that if any fixing is not either loctite'd or nylok'd it WILL reliably drop off. Mark all nuts and bolts with a paint marker then you can check them easily.

I had lots of problems with clutch slip on mine - all cured with stiffer springs (Powertec) and an uprated Kevlar clutch (Barnet brand from PDQ Motorcycle developments).

If you take to the track make sure you run it with a full tank, too (to avoid fuel surge problems). This isn't an issue on the road.