• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Vauxhall 2.0 16v

AJ9939

Can someone explain what a "Red Top" Vauxhall 2.0litre 16v engine is and how its different to say, a 2.0l 16v from an Astra GTE please ? Advantages / disadvantages ?

Also, at the Forest Green meet last Tuesday I (all too briefly) spoke with a guy who was knowledgeable about this engine. I can`t remember his name unfortunately, but I think he`s got a dark blue Westie. If your reading this, could you send me a private message to discuss further off the forum please ? ( MB893 you`ll know his name !! )

Thanks a lot, Adrian.

It is another name for the same engine, earlier engines had a Coscast head, signifying that they had been cast by cosworth engineering.

The name is taken from the red spark plug cover

Russ

who was knowledgeable

....... No No NO! too easy an opportunity :D

Yep, Nick it is. Have a look at the Surrey club site for his email and get in touch.

Regards

John

Vauxhall have made two different types of 2 litre 16v's in recent years, as fitted to Cavaliers, Astras, and Calibras, the original (and still the best ;) ) 'XE', or Redtop etc, and the Ecotec.

A quick way of telling-the XE has an 'L' shaped spark plug cover, the Ecotec has a straight cover, (because somebody might of changed the colour of spark plug cover :0  ;) ).

If you look in which kit magazine a couple of months ago, the guy in there did a write up on the vauxahall engines which was quite informative.

They are getting harder to find now at sensible money.

Im trying to find one myself. ???

And the rest... I paid 400 for a 40K miles engine with a known history...

Means I get to rebuild my 'smoker' for £1000 to 250bhp at leisure  :devil:   :devil:

Went to a scrappy (Kirton) and he said no chance, all the racers (???) buy them, I'd get no change from £800 if he had one :0  :0  :0

Wonderful engine tho... I think the Duratec will be as good but they are still £1000 a shot...

...©

have seen GTE Astras going through the auctions for peanuts. think the cheapest i ever saw one go for was about £50. ran ok, bodywork was falling off :t-up:

I have been known to buy 1 or 2 and find that the cheap ones are generally cheap for a reason and that is because they are getting close to being scrap. There have been exceptions, bargains if you like but these are rare in my opinion.

Now I prefer to pay more money for ones with a history and partly stripped for inspection. Then throw more money and time at them to get them reliable and performing well.

So truly good engines will demand and get good money.