Advice on Track days

BEN99W

Did a search and don't think I got definitive results  :)

Doing my first TD at Brands soon ...

What car preparation do I need to undertake for a track day, and is a helmet a essential?

standard Zetec with 130bhp, solid disks all round, new Yoko A539s...

cheers

Doing my first TD at Brands soon ...

Try and get hold of a Circuit Guide and read up on the circuit layout.

What car preparation do I need to undertake for a track day

Change- the oil [prevention is cheaper than the repaire bill] take some with you to top up if it breathes some out, brake fluid [if more than a year old] check coolant, check every nut and bolt on the car is tight [as per the manual] check you have enough tread on your tyres to come home with if driving home you could use 2mm of tread on the day.

Do I need a helmet

YES you do

Paul.

There's definately info on here...

Main points (from what I remember).

Check all fluid levels

Check all nuts and bolts

They won't let you on without a helmet.

Enjoy yourself :)

Andy

Go in the beginers group

Take extra cans of petrol

If another driver's being a prawn - complain to the organisers and let them sort it out

Take the warm up / cool down laps seriously

Strap in really tight

Have fun

I`m no expert cos I`ve only done one to date but I believe a 1 litre minimum catch tank is usually required

that's only for competition......but it makes sense to check that your car won't put out oil onto the track anyway (I've never had my car looked at for a trackday, not even to check the seatbelts exist!;)  :t-up:

It's preferable to take a helmet with you, although most places will usually have a pile you can rent for a small fee. Make sure you buy a decent full face one that fits well (ie with the strap done up it can't be pulled off your head). I'd recommend Shoei versions as they always seem to fit well and are well finished. Check what labels you need on the helmet if you plan to go racing in the future (not all bike helmets are suitable for racing, but most are fine for trackdays). As a guide if it has a blue sticker saying 'Type A approved' on it or a gold ACU star sticker it should be a decent lid.

As for the day itself, the best bet is to have one session on your own to familiarise yourself with the layout of the circuit and then hire an instructor - they get you up to speed much quicker and help you use the best lines.

I'd also suggest you build up speed gradually and come off as soon as you start to feel yourself pushing too hard. Red mist / trying to get past the annoying car in front = trip to tyre wall. Circuits can be deceptively slow and it's always surprising how fast you're actually going when you push too hard and the tyres let go!

If you do need a catchtank, just rig up a tube from the rocker cover breather to an old one-litre oil bottle.

Lastly insurance is a good idea. The premiums for one day cover are silly (ie I'm paying £107 for Cadwell tommorow- £8,000 worth of cover, £1,200 excess!;) but you never know on track days.

I'd also suggest that you start off with an airfield day at first, rather than a daunting international circuit like Brands Hatch - cheaper and much less to hit if you come off. But on the other hand Brands is a stunning circuit...

:D  :D

Make sure the engine oil level is at the 'max' mark on the dipstick, not just somewhere above the 'min' mark.

This is to avoid oil surge whilst cornering.

Check your tyre pressures.

Remove spare wheel whilst on track.

After Cadwell here's another tip - make sure you go on circuit with a full tank. I went on with 1/2 a tank and got fuel surge (engine spluttering) on one of the corners. With a full tank there was no problem.

By the way - you've gotta do Cadwell! Could have been purpose made for Westfields...  :D