Cover!!

schoare1

I paid £350 for the westfield all singing and dancing cover (dont say a word). here's the problem - I took it off the other day to do some work, there was a lot of condensation on the body work!! Is this normal?? Secondly and the worst on the nose cone when I dried it of was a lighter area of gel coat (high blue) that wont polish out (nose cone b*#@^%ked up, I think).

1. Should this have happened?

2. What could have caused it?

3. What the heck can I do about it?

I'm just off to bang my head off the wall a few more times, response's gratefully recieved. ???

A cover should preferably be breathable  so as not to allow condensation to build up. You can't beat a plain old soft cotton sheet whilst parked up in the garage - Mines often found under an old painters (clean one) dust sheet and it still comes up bright and shiny, when i can be bothered to polish it and its a 1990 body.

Long term covering of fibreglass gel coat under damp conditions can cause damage - it looks like a crazing or orange peel effect

I paid £350 for the westfield all singing and dancing cover (dont say a word).

Which one don't you want me to say  :devil:  :D  :D  :D  :D

How long have you had the cover - if you're not happy try and ask for a refund  ???  ???  ???  :(  :(  ???  :)

It was supposed to be a breathable cover, which makes even stranger. Unfortunately, it has to stay outside on the drive, which is why I thought the expensive one would be best.

I may well try for a refund, we'll have to see what Westfield say when I take it back.

It just seems strange that its done what it has.

even with a breathable cover you should try and prevent it from resting for long periods on the bodywork when damp  ???  try and use something to hold it clear so that the air can circulate and the damp can then evaporate from the cover more easily  ;)

Ditto Mark's suggestion. Mine lives under cotton sheets, and is a 1992 body in red, and hasn't faded one little bit.

I also never cover the car when it's hot, I always leave it too cool over night before covering. So as not to get condensation build up.

What colour is the cover? What colour is the nose? Is the car parked in the sun (especially recently when its been very hot)?

If either is a dark shade or the cover's insulation properties are poor the heat may 'cook' the gel coat causing discolouration or at worst bubbles in the gel especially if its damp. An analogy would be putting the body in a water bath and then regularly heating it to 50deg+

Glassfibre is hydroscopic, meaning that it absorbs moisture from the environment, thats why serious dingy sailors replace their hulls regularly, cos they weigh more at the end of the season than at the start (unless you live in Arizona, PedantNick)  :p  :p

I once had serious damage done to about 3 sq ft of the surface of a glider wing when it was put in its trailer wet. The area concerned was covered by a trailer fitting which had trapped moisture between the fitting and wing. The following day (max temp 35deg) the sun heated the wing throught the aluminium skin of the trailer, a 100mm air gap, 4 layers of glass in the fitting and 5mm of dense foam padding  :0  :0 causing £1500 worth of damage to the gel coat