AP Master cylinder

Terry Everall

The standard Westfield MC is split 50/50 ie equal amounts of fluid go to both ends. The AP racing one is split 60/40 with the valve arangement Andy described. You only really need one for four pot calipers and indeed some will swear that you do not need one especially with Bremsport type calipers. The reason one is better is the volume of fluid it moves hench the reduced travel. On mine the pedal is spot on and the brakes work exceptionally.

The standard one is off a Morgan 1600 4/4. Having looked through all the master cylinder information I have at work the only alternative to the AP racing one in size and fitting is off a Morgan Plus 8 but this costs more than the AP! IIRC the cost from Westfield was the cheapest out of the listed suppliers.

Inside the AP master there are two pistons running in tandem and in the same size bore. When you initially press the brake pedal this first moves the primary piston and starts applying the front brakes. There is a gap between the primary and secondary pistons. When you depress the brake pedal more this reduces the gap until the primary piston pushes the secondary piston.

I hope this helps.

Hi Andy

This surprises me as every other tandem master cylinder I have seen works on the principle that that the secondary circuit is move by hydraulic action rather than phisicaly touching. The only time physicaly touching is used is as a fail safe when there is no pressure in the primary circuid ie you have a leak. This is why it is important to have full movment of the push rod before the stop. Just in case the primary circuit fails.

Not saying that you are wrong just that if it is the case it is different to normal twin MC's

Cheers

Bazzer

The AP racing one is split 60/40 with the valve arangement Andy described. You only really need one for four pot calipers and indeed some will swear that you do not need one especially with Bremsport type calipers.

In my experience the original is fine with Bremsport 4 pot fronts and standard rears. I found that I have much more confidence now in braking with a *much* more progressive `feel`

In a panic stop the rear wheels lock just as I come to a standstill.

Disadvantage, initially the pedal felt softer but you get used to this `progressive` feel IMO

The standard Westfield MC is split 50/50 ie equal amounts of fluid go to both ends. The AP racing one is split 60/40 with the valve arangement Andy described. You only really need one for four pot calipers

i pick my kit up in two weeks :D and have got the std westfield mc,but have got some cat four pots do i need get a different mc or will it be o.k?

adam