AP Master cylinder

Terry Everall

Anyone know the bore diameter, reference code etc for the ap master cylinder. Is it suitable for top mounted pedals and does it just bolt into existing pedal box or need modification?

Have a look here. No part numbers, but as it's available from Demon Tweeks, a glance through the c******m pages should be all that is required to identify the correct part.

The Factory also sell them........

The bore diameter is, from memory 0.812 of an inch or 13/16" if you want imperial.

No part number I'm afraid - I just got mine from Westfield because they were the cheapest source.

Before you go off on a wild goose chase, AP won't sell them direct.  You need to get it from c******m, Demon Thieves or Westfield  :(

Finally, yes you can use it with top mounted pedals and it just bolts into the existing pedal box.  Only mod needed is to cut down the push rod by a small amount - about 10mm or so but measure it yourself compared to your existing one.

And not forgetting that the rear most outlet is for the front circuit, and vice-versa.............

• Like 1

And not forgetting that the rear most outlet is for the front circuit, and vice-versa.............

is that the same for a standard master jobby?

if so mines round tuther way?

does it matter?

jamie

is that the same for a standard master jobby?

Not as far as I know.

Bear in mind that, AIUI, the AP master cylinder was designed specifically for c******m's. A c******m master cylinder is mounted above the c******m pedal box, facing rearwards, as opposed to facing forwards when mounted to a Westfield.....

Edit, January 22nd.

Not as far as I know

I know differently now............. :0  :0  :0

The rear most port is for the front circuit even on the standard cylinder. See pic below, you can see the "P" for primary and "S" for secondary.

Two many shandies when building your car?

102-0279_IMG.JPG

The rear most port is for the front circuit even on the standard cylinder. See pic below, you can see the "P" for primary and "S" for secondary.

Two many shandies when building your car?

Na drink full fat beer

but true didn't help with the build :D  :D

Terry

I got this Info from Andy @ CAT Motorsport

AP Master Cylinder - Bore 0.812

Number on Cylinder - CP3627-101C

And he says that it cured his long brake pedel travel, and firm things up a tad.  Andy also mentioned that the cylinder has a bias built in with something like 62% front 38% rear.

Cheers

Mike

• 6 months later...

Hi all

So how does it provide a bias ? I talked to AP about this and I am sure they said it is a standard MC without anything fancy. Just has a bore you can't get in a standard Girling MC .So with both circuits having the same bore I can't see how it can provide a bias.

Might have and AP cylinder for sale in a couple of months as I am probably going to switch to a twin cylinder setup.

Cheers

Bazzer

I was led to believe that more fluid is passed to the front circuit than the rear, by menas of some clever witchcraft in the internal workings. The front gets 60% of the volume of fluid moved, the rear 40%.

A call to AP's tech help will answer any questions you have, and I've found them very helpful.

I did talk to them a couple of months back and asked them if there was any clever valving. They said no it's just a size Girling dont produce in a cheap MC.

It's just that I have heard about this bias thing said about the AP MC before and I am not sure it is true.

Bazzer

Interestingly the parts to convert to a twin MC setup with a balance bar are £146 + VAT from Westfield. This is not far off the price of an AP cylinder.

It does require a small amount of welding however.

Cheers

Bazzer

Inside the AP master there are two pistons running in tandem and in the same size bore. When you initially press the brake pedal this first moves the primary piston and starts applying the front brakes. There is a gap between the primary and secondary pistons. When you depress the brake pedal more this reduces the gap until the primary piston pushes the secondary piston.

I hope this helps.