• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Speedo Drive Gear on

CrashBangWallop

Good morning people,

I've managed to track down my gearbox leak to the speedo...  just down and forward from the gearstick but, I'm sure you all knew that, though :)  It's not gushing out but, I assume it needs a new seal of some sort.  It's easy to reach but, is it easy to fix?  I won't be doing it myself.  I don't want to take the gearbox out :0

I've managed to drain, and subsequently fill, the gearbox back up again but, I don't want to keep topping it up every couple of hundred miles.

An easy job for any good ol' backstreet mechanic?  I plan to drive back to Newcastle at the end of the month (230 miles) and I'd like it sorted by then.

Thanks,

Neil

Neil

I'e got exactly the same problem with mine :angry:

Since I have had it, it has leaked gearbox oil to some extent.  From looking on here and blatchat I believe you can change the seal without removing the gearbox, it is just a bit fiddly as there is not much space in the tunnel.  To be honest I have currently bodged a repair (although it still leaks a bit) and will probably try and fix it over the winter.  

From my experience the leak hardly changes the gearbox oil level.  I did a trackday on Saturday and checked the oil yesterday and couldn't put much more in.  It is just the stains on the garage floor that are a pain.

Sorry this is not much help, but I will be interested to know how yours is sorted out, and how much it costs.

Hi Jason,

The car may have leaked quite a bit before I bought it, too.  I only managed to drain about half a pint out of the gearbox and then filled it up with about a litre.  As it holds about 2.1 pints (someone said, I think) it was becoming hard to engage third gear and reverse.

Hi Neil    just to try to help my box also had a leak around the speedo drive. I had an old sierra cable in which was too long so fitted a factory replacement but noticed that cable end flange was loose when circlip was replaced. Answer was some hylomar around flange before fitting circlip again which then was nice & tight,since then all is perfect. Just a thought hope it helps

Weasel,

Just so I'm in the right ball-park here.  All I can feel is a small pin protruding.  I keep pushing it in 2 or 3 mm every time I've finished a good ol' blat :D

I take it that's all that should be there?  You mentioning 'cable' makes me think otherwise.  Unless, of course, the cable is on the inside ??? Or is the 'pin' the cable? Or...Maybe, I should go back to just filling washer fluid?

Thanks for the info.  All this new knowledge.  It is going in.  Honest ;)

Jason,  

I took the car to a back-street mechanic.  I explained my problem to him.  Although, he didn't have time there and then, he seemed confident that it was a ten minute job and said it would cost me a pint and a blast around Tesco's carpark in it :0  I'll write on Monday and tell you the outcome.

It sounds like you do not have a cable driven speedo in which case the old output drive "the pin" to which you refer needs blanking off. The effect is the same if you had a cable drive and sealed the end in the way I described. Either way the origional drive output needs sealing.