• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

More dumb questions

MARSDALEBEAR

First can I thank all those that replied to previous dumb questions,your help and advice has been appreciated.

Gearbox. How do I tell the difference between the Type9 and the Type 45?

Is it possible to move the gear lever back so that it does not sprout from under the dashboard?

Engine. Does anyone know the timing settings for a Xflow with a BCF2 cam.

I need to have some press studs fitted to my unused toneau cover,does anyone know somewhere near Coventry/Nuneaton where I could get this done.

What effect does the length of the inlet trumpet on DCOEs have?

Thanks guys (and girls?)   :)

Gearbox - simplest way is position of reverse. Type 9 is up at top left of gate, MT75 is opposite 5th.

You can get an extension for the gear lever which brings it back along the tunnel. However I have found that by fitting a "Ball" lever I don't have any clearance problems under the dash, nor do I need an angle IYSWIM - I could send a pic to clarify.

Sorry, don;t know about x-flows and don't live near Coventry/Nuneaton!! ;)

BCF2 Cam, about 12.5 degrees ISTR. I'd reccomend a Rolling road setup to get the best static timing for maximum advance as the cam comes in though.

Trumpet length is proportional to the amount of torque versus power. The longer the trumpets, the more power, less torque but I doubt you'll notice the small change this will have on the car.

Si

The longer the trumpets, the more power, less torque

Er, I thought it was the other way round. Long trumpets = torque, short trumpets = power.......

Thanks Chrisbin,got a Type 9 then dont I  :D

If you could send a pic I would appreciate it.

You can see it here....

It's in 2nd there.. :durr:  :D

Hope that helps!

(Oh, and if you want to know where to get "balls" like that  :0  :0  I got mine at Halfrauds..... :blush:  :blush: )

The longer the trumpets, the more power, less torque

Er, I thought it was the other way round. Long trumpets = torque, short trumpets = power.......

It's far too early.....

Where's my coffee....

Could be the other way around now you've put doubt in my mind.

Nurse! NURSE!

Thats only theory though chaps, in reality gains *may* be had right up to the redline with longer trumpets.

Que Matt Seabrook..... :p  :)  ;)

So... if I have 2 long and 2 short I get the best of both worlds! :D  :D

Grabs coat and leaves rapidly......... :D  :D

The other advantage of a gear shift extension (which is a nicely made but of kit from the factory) is that you haven't got to reach forward to change gear - hand drops nicely off the steeting wheel.  :)

The other advantage of a gear shift extension (which is a nicely made but of kit from the factory) is that you haven't got to reach forward to change gear - hand drops nicely off the steeting wheel.  :)

Depending on the length of your arms......... :0

To be honest I don't have a problem so maybe I'm an odd shape....!! Its a bit of a reach into reverse, but thats all.

And of course most of the time I'm only doing 3,4,5 anyway.. :devil:  :devil:  :devil:

I reckon that the gear lever extension is the best thing since sliced bread.

You can just sit with your elbow on the transmision tunnel and fllick through the gears with a smooth wrist action, NICE!

More precisely:

Longer trumpets (in theory - 'cos that's all I know) give greater torque at lower rev's

Shorter trumpets give more torque at higher rev's

This is because of the resonance between the back of the inlet valves and the end of the trumpet.  This is why some standard engines have dual inlet systems of different length, to try and acheive the best of both worlds.

You acheive more power out of a tuned engine by increasing torque in the higher rev range.  Hence the best way of comparing two engines is to look at the torque curves in the 'working' rev range.

Hope that clears that up a little more (or adds to the confusion... ??? )

I need to have some press studs fitted to my unused toneau cover,does anyone know somewhere near Coventry/Nuneaton where I could get this done.

Best place I know is Woolies.   Mail order, but they turn the stuff round tout suite.   Had my carpets within 24 hours of the order being phoned through to them.   Fitting them wouldn't be too difficult, just make sure you back up the rivets with some washers, or they will pull through the fibre glass in time.