• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Takes ages to warm up ?

Lins

Went for a drive last Thursday evening - about 45 minutes all in all - but I noticed that the engine temperature was staying at around 80 degrees until I stopped, when it bouced up to 85, then to 95 when the fan kicked in, then back down to 85.

I changed over the thermostat the weekend before (and flused out the cooling system at the same time) - it seems to warm up in a fairly linear manner (I had thought that the thermostat was stuck open - but it's a new one now so should'nt be that) - it just did'nt seem to get quite to temperature.

I can't believe that there is enough airflow over the engine to keep it at that temp until I stopped !

Does anyone have any thoughts as to why this would be doing this - it's an 1800 Zetec ?

Cheers

Linsey

The Zetecs are plumbed wrong in their standard installation. Take a look here for comprehensive info on the problem and its resolution.

I'm considering a Raceline water-rail (about 200 quid) to resolve this issue on my car (2.0 Zetec).

In the meantime, I have a blind obscuring about 1/4 or 1/3 or the radiator grille. Helps it warm up, but unfortunately leads to overheating on hot days or when stuck in traffic. I'll take some measurements of it if you're interested.

Andy

Hmmmmmm..... I reckon 80 degrees is the perfect temp for a Zetec, and certainly the temp at which the best power is produced (according to a discussion we had on here a while back, and which I now can't find.......). If it's stable at 80, and the fan controls the temps appropriately when required, I'd leave it alone.....

Hmmmmmm..... I reckon 80 degrees is the perfect temp for a Zetec

Mine's plumbed in as per the above link, and runs at around 80 degc +.  When zetecs run cool ISTR it's very cool...