• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Maximum Revs on a 1700 Xflow

stupot

I have just bought the car and was wondering what was the maximum revs as the rev counter goes round to 8000rpm. I know thats too far to take it but where ideally should I stop.

Its a 1700 xflow with a stage 3 big valve head and steal rocker posts and spacers with and A3 camshaft running twin 40 delortoes.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I have just read through the Burton catalogue and it states the power band for the A3 camshaft is 4000-8000rpm!!!

Is is really safe to take it that far?

Stuart

there was a post about this a couple of weeks ago. should be able to do a search to pick it up.

Generally 6,500 is OK. More if you have double valve springs, which it sounds like you have.

To push it more to  7,000 and more I don't really know, I guess you would need to know how the bottom end/pistons have been built up

Dave

As Buzzer says, bottom end spec is the most important to check. For 8000rpm in a x-flow, you'd need to have steel rods and top quality rod/crank bolts. I'm not sure if you'd have to ahve a steel crank for 8000rpm too. If you have a standard crank but uprated rods and bolts, I'd say 7000rpm was a sensible limit until the bottom end spec can be confirmed.

Disclaimer. I am NOT a x-flow expert, so if it all goes tits up at 7000rpm, remember, I wasn't the one pressing the pedal......

Nice disclaimer, I like that. :p

Similar to the "THE MANAGEMENT ACCEPT NO RESPONSABILITY FOR.........." coverall circumstances type of thing.

I recon 7500rpm if it has standard rods, crank and ARP big end and main bolts.

You may want to get the flywheel double dowelled for this rpm and get ARP bolts for it.

The ARP hardware is reputed to give you a further reliable 500-750 rpm if all the other stuff is uprated to match.

But obviously if it all goes tits up at 7500rpm I'm not the one............ect ect ect :p

Generally, the first 'weak link' in the chain of mechanical bits in an xflow is the pistons, if they are standard (i.e cast oversize replacements). And if they are, I wouldnt be too keen to rev past 6000rpm on a regular basis....