• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Turbowestie.co.uk

• s.stirley

• JonnyBoy

• Megablade Paul

What's the issue, if any, with a car that has only one major item, reconditioned to as new. If that is the engine and you can prove pre 95 it should get through sva on the 3.5% and 1200 rule and should in theory get an 03 reg. When you then come to need an MOT are there any issues? can anyone advise please URGENTLY please, I need to know soooooon :0

i think...that the way it is now..anything not on Q will be subject to a current emmissions test!

i.e. i dont think that you can win!

best bet is to speak to someone that actually knows.. dvla, or an sva centre!

i think...that the way it is now..anything not on Q will be subject to a current emmissions test!

i.e. i dont think that you can win!

My car is a 2001 registered car, with a 1986 log book for the engine with no proof of reconditioning (even thought was it built from all new bits but not declared). it was given an age related plate on a "D" and the emissons therefore comply to 1986 emissions legislation on MOTs.

Clear as mud, just the way the Inspectorate seem to like things!!

IMHO, if you want to swap engines etc, go for Q plates.   If anything, they will be less stringently tested than a car with an age related registration number.

You may find that regs will change in years to come, and they could be back dated to cover all vehicles registered in such n such a year.   Q plates may not be the most glamourous, but for practical reasons, that's my choice.

I've just heard it from the MoT line, emissions should be tested on _all_ vehicles with one exception -

'Kit cars and amateur built vehicles are regarded as pre 1st August 1975 vehicles for the purposes of MOT emissions testing and are subject to a visual check only. The age of the engine is not taken into account.'

But then it goes on to complicate this with -

'SVA(single vehicle approval) introduces some problems and these are complex, the SVA manual is the source of information. In a nutshell all vehicles get a "visual check" and vehicles first used after 1/8/75 or with an engine manufactured after this date get a metered check or a CAT test if they are listed in the emissions handbook or are on the emissions tester database. After August 1995 they get a CAT test. Amateur built vehicle SVA emissions tests are based on the vehicle build date unless there is proof that the engine is earlier. If a date cannot be determined, until 31 March 2001 they will get a non CAT test. From the 1st April 2001 the effective date will be assumed to be 1st August 1997, i.e they will get a CAT test unless there is proof of the date of manufacture of the engine. Also, dual fuel (petrol/gas) are tested in both modes.'

What I don't understand is how you could have a kit-car _without_ an SVA test. Even factory built Westfields have to get an SVA test .. but basically even a Q plated car SVA'd after April 1 2001 *should* pass a CAT test _unless_ you prove the engine is older.

Cheers, Simon

do factory built cars get an sva?

isnt this the reason for wstfield investing a fortune in type approval...or is this for another reason?

Ah, not if they have type approval now .. certainly they needed to SVA factory cars 2/3 years ago when I last looked into this ..

Certain kit cars don't have to be SVA'd I think. This is limited to rebodies and 3 wheelers but this may have changed now.

Still not sure cos mine could get an 03 plate. I can however prove it's a pre 95 engine but as being the only part that isn't new and has been reconditioned to as new should in theory be an 03.

The SVA weren't sure but thought it would be 03 and at MOT time I must prove pre 95. He did say though that the visual smoke test does not apply anymore at MOT and it must meet the SVA test limits of 3.5% CO and 1200ppm HC's.

I'm just not sure what to do for the best ???

• 2 months later...

Did anyone get to the bottom of this ?

If you have a pre-95 engine as your reconditioned part and get an 03 plate are you O.K for pre-95 emissions at M.O.T time or not ?

S2000 engine rotates the right way................
Wohoo :D  :love:

TurboWestie, the S2000 in a Westie idea has already been done by BookaTrack / Blink Motorsport with "Project Nutter", Having followed it around Anglesey I can vouch that it goes like stink!  :love:

Blink Link!

Chris

This thread started a while back now and since then mine has been SVA'd and registered on an 03 plate (in the same day) with a pre-95 blade engine.  I checked with Westfield and they said that the log sheets should now state what emissions to be tested at MOT and hence no problem with an 03 plate and pre 95 engine. However my log sheet doesn't actually state anything, so er, I need to check that out, but don't need an MOT for 3 years :D

Did anyone get to the bottom of this ?

This turning into chinese whispers but I've just had a read of the MOT manual and the special notice that came out this year to correct it. My interpretation (and the one that my MOT station agreed to for my car! ) is....

If your car is pre-SVA then the recent special notice does not affect things.

The relevent regulation is a note on the flow chart page of section 7.3 of the manual.

"........Kit cars and amateur built vehicles for emissions pruposes only, are to be considered as vehicles first used before 1 August 1975"

This appears pretty clear that any kit car (Q or not) is smoke test only.

However, they issued a special notice (or whatever they are called) earlier this year. I don't have a copy to hand but from memory it basically says that any car tested to SVA should be tested to that standard at subsequent MOTs. ie. no getout at MOTs for kitcars that have been SVAed.

As far as I can work  out, the rules for emissions at SVA are basically the same as any road car. ie. the test is dependant on the age or the car, or the age of the engine, whichever is the oldest. I think this rule holds regardless of whether the engine was fitted when the car was first built or whether it was fitted later. However, the onus is on the owner to prove at MOT time the age of the engine. ie. letter/fax from the manufacturer or note on the V5 etc, otherwise the MOT station should test to the age of the car.

So, basically, if you can prove your engine is pre-95 then you don't need a cat, either at SVA or MOT. Regardless of Q or 03 plate.

I'd recommend doing what I did. Go down your local MOT place and ask to go through the relevent bits in the manual and read the recent notices. If you don't go at a busy time they should be quite happy to help you out. If not go somewhere else, you are going to need a friendly MOT place at your next mot!  ???