• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Why all the Q plates ?

s.stirley

Checking around a lot of websites and pictures etc on this board I noticed that a lot of cars are Q plated. Is there a good reason for this ? I've checked the DVLA's pages and can't see the problem with getting either a new registration for a car built with factory supplied parts, or keeping a donor vehicles registration using a 'basic kit' from Westfield for the chassis etc ?

Am I missing something ? or do people like Q's for some reason ?

Cheers, Si

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Turbowestie.co.uk

• s.stirley

• JonnyBoy

• Megablade Paul

Well one reason is that the car doesn't have to pass an emmissions test at MOT - visible smoke only. Mind you I think latest advice is that even age related cars, if they are specified as built from parts, don't have to either - but I could be wrong..... :blush:

I have had emmisions test done on the two MOTs done on my car. The age related plate on mine is "D" due to a 1986 block. Not the end of the world though, its still 3.5% @ idle :) and no cat. Plus you can fit a private plate on a age related car.

there aint nowt wrong with a Q.. far less hastle in the long run!

I think q has lost the stigma attatched cue to insurance write offs due to the increase in public knowledge in kit cars.

i initially wanted an age related plate...but when I was in the VRO it was either 'take a Q now, or wait 2 weeks for a further test'...b*****k..i'll take the Q thanks Mr..the suns shining! havent looked back since.

everyone that matters knows what it means...

...those that dont can FRO :arse:  :D  :p

oh and apparently...it will be possible to buy personalised q's soon anyhow!

My Q Plate Westfield had an MOT a couple of weeks ago, it initially failed on quite a few minor points such as no wing mirrors, no hazard switch etc.  After I had a chat with the tester, and he read his test book, he passed it as the failure points were only needed on a vehicle manufactured after a certain date.  I am sure the lack of this items must save me a least 0.5kg in weight so a definite advantage.  

If it is of any interest, later this year the DVLA are intending to release personalised Q plates.

Does it effect your insurance having a 'Q' though ? when I re-shelled a Mini a few years back I would have got a Q if I'd kept the original cars ID, instead I kept the shell and registered a different engine in it as the insurance for 'modified' was less that for a Q plated 'standard' (albeit quicker) car. It was about half if I remember right !

Obviously if I want to avoid a Q I need to seriously plan ahead .. a friend of mine building a kit-car now has his Honda engine registered in a SORN'd Sierra which is the donor :)

The Q plate made no difference to my insurance price, (which was just over £150). I think all the insurance companys just view Westfields as kit cars and the plate makes no difference.

Obviously if I want to avoid a Q I need to seriously plan ahead .. a friend of mine building a kit-car now has his Honda engine registered in a SORN'd Sierra which is the donor  

Slightly off topic......

Regarding the honda engine, what car is that going in? I have a civic VTI as my daily driver, 160 BHP 1800 nat asp that revs to 8500rpm , fantastic engine for a Westie..........shame it "rotates backwards" to a conventional engine, putting it my Westie would give me 1 forward gear and 5 reverse LOL, fastest Westie on the planet....................backwards :):):)

fastest Westie on the planet....................backwards  :)  

FHM set a new reverse record in a bec caterhumm. 100+mph, now that would be scary!

I honestly dont think (IMO) theres any point going to the extra trouble of avoiding a Q prefix due to the extra registration process and then MOT emissions issues that you will encounter!

why do you have an issue with Q?

i would agree that a Q on a rebuilt (crashed/stolen) production car looks a bit suspect, but a kit car is a different kettle of fish!

at the end of the day, your car will be the dogs proverbials, so who cares what prefix it carries.

if any one takes the p***...overtake them..simple :devil:

I honestly expected my car to be on a Q plate when i went for registration, which i didnt have a problem with, but when i arrived at the DVLA, i produced a log book for proof of engine purchase , the inspector said "ah age related plate then". I thought you need at least 2 donner parts for age related plate?

It's a Honda C27 (V6) going in a Pilgrim Sumo, the V6's turn the 'right' way :)

Your Civic motor does indeed go around the wrong way, but you can fix that by turning the back axle over (think about it .. you rotate the axle right over around the axis of the propshaft then what was the top of the wheel on one side becomes the bottom on the other and drives the car the other way)  :cool:

I personally have no problem with Q's unless they effect my insurance .. as you say everyone who matters know's it's a kit-car and that's that. It's the SVA data and mileage that really matters.

(think about it .. you rotate the axle right over around the axis of the propshaft then what was the top of the wheel on one side becomes the bottom on the other and drives the car the other way)  

Not quite that easy on my independent set up, but certainly not imposible. The Honda VTEC engines are such a fantastic motor for a Westie, All ali block and head, 97 BHP/ litre as standard! I am sure someone has done it, or is in the processes of it, despite the obvious drive train issues...........hummmmm *thoughts of S2000 engine*  :)