50 Amp fuse blown HELP!

MARSDALEBEAR

Got the timing sorted,car running lovely,then..... 50 Amp ignition fuse blows. :angry:

Can anyone shed any light as to why this should/could happen.

Also it is a flat blade type fuse,just a strip of metal with 50 stamped on it all in a small plastic housing. Never seen this in my life before,can I replace it with an inline fuse?

:0  x loads !!

Biggest fuse I have on my car is for the fuel pump and that's a 30 amp one (coz 20 amp ones kept popping and I haven't been arsed to see if there's such a thing as a 20amp slow blow blade type fuse....).

Where is this fuse ?  50amps seems a hell of a lot of current to deal with !

Where is this fuse ?  50amps seems a hell of a lot of current to deal with

The fuse is in the live feed from the ignition switch to the solenoid. I have been churning the starter recently 'cos the bu**er wouldnt start.Could this be the reason,I just cant imagine the ignition drawing more than 50amps.

Do you mean the brown unswitched live feed ?

Why is there a fuse in that wire ?  There isn't on my car and I can't see why you'd need one to be honest.  Chunky wires yes, but not a fuse.

Cranking amps are going to be pretty high I'd have thought - certainly more than 50.