• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Any Irish members on board ?

thos

Well, I think the subject says it all really - any Irish members on here ?

Getting a Westfield in Ireland seems to be a little bit of a different game compared to the UK. There are a number of obstacles - lack of special insurance schemes, lack of 2nd hand cars, and a lovely vehicle registration tax which means you have to give another 25/30% of the cost of the vehicle to the government. Also, our NCT (Irish MOT equivilent) is a bit stricter on emissions so it means carbs out, injection and cats in.

But, I'm set on getting a Westfield and I'm currently looking at a couple of cars in the UK.

It looks like a good site you guys have here, I'll probably be asking a couple of questions in the coming weeks.

Thanks,

Tom

on the subject of tax, in theory (not that im sugesting this though) if the person you buy the car from gives you a bill saying you paid £1500 say for the car, then thats less tax for you to pay on it.

i recently brought an 81 WR Quattro back from Zurich for the bargain price of £750, customs didnt even queery the fact that the price was so low.

are the roads as good as they always used to be over there by the way ?  :t-up:

are the roads as good as they always used to be over there by the way ?  :t-up:

Good in the twisty country back road sense, bad in the pot holing, tyre blowing sense.

4 cars in Co Wicklow, 2 road registered, 2 comp only. Undulating back roads mean 2 broken shocks and rear suspension bushes just being replaced. Bring in a good 6-8 year old car, with ads showing typical values to the guy in Rosslare - he reads all the mags anyway so he is in touch. The VRT will be lowish then, as opposed to bringing in nearly new car. Pre 94 will mean reasonable National Car Test emission levels. They are passable. Post 94 almost impossible.

Anyone got any downsides to the nylon susp bushes from Westfield?

The WSCC mag very good for keeping in touch. Might we even have a 5th or 6th member in the south?

Hey shadow,

Well, I'm on the ferry tomorrow going to look at a '00 1.8 Zetec, injection+cat, so shouldnt have too many problems on the emissions front. It's 00, so at 3yrs old, the VRT might be rough, but I'll deal with it in time.

Are you a Wicklow man yourself ? I'm up in Kilcoole. I know of 3 or 4 Westies in the area alright.

Tom