• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Gearbox oil filler

CrashBangWallop

Good morning people,

As yesterday's question was answered so abrubtly, I'll fire another one in :)

My gearbox is leaking oil.  Not a massive amount but, it's a little concerning.  I've spoken to a few guys that I know who have se7en-esque cars but, none of them have a Westfield.  They mentioned sticking my finger in a hole though the top? :0

I have a SEiW, standard 1600 CVH with a type 9 gearbox.  What's the easiest way to check the gearbox oil level, please?

As I didn't build the car, I don't know where it is, and I'm not going to take the carpets and passenger seat out to find there's an easier way ???

Thanks a lot,

Neil

Filler/level bung on the nearside of the gearbox. B*******d to get to. I would suggest tunnel carpet off. Remove top of tunnel and fill/check level from there. While you're at it cut a hole with a enox at exactly the position of the filler and put a grommet in it. You will only have to lift the tunnel carpet on one side in the future. "Full" is when the oil comes out of the filler, i.e. you can't get any more in

HTH

JT

Oh joy!  :( I'm probably as mechanically-minded as the Pope.  Just as long as I don't have to take it out, or buy another one, or... :D

I've just done a search, too.  I should remember to do that BEFORE I post a help ;)

Thanks for the advice.

Thanks. It's a living!

At least my job is useful for something  :t-up:

(I'm an animator BTW)

And that's a mighty-fine engine cover you have there, too :)

*Turbo Tommo?

If I do need to fill it up, is it okay to mix oils?  I don't know what's currently in there.

If I do need to fill it up, is it okay to mix oils?

You can mix oils of the same grade from different manufacturers, but NOT oils of different grades......

If you don't know what grade you have, then try to find out from the previous owner.....