• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Disposing of donor car

chanlon1

Doing research into building my first kit car. Just wondering, if you get a donor and put it up on ramps/blocks/jacks etc in a gaage and remove the wheels and axles, how do you get the donor car out of the garage so that it can be taken away?

Daft question I know, but just wonderig.

thanks

Colin

I don't think that Westfields have a single donor.  If you were going down the zetec route with an MT75 gearbox then you could use a 2.0l DOHC granada.  you could use the brakes, hubs, diff and gearbox (and hand brake).

A suggestion for getting rid of the car was that you could drive the car to a friendly scrappy and dismantly the car at the scrappies.  Then put the bits you want in a van and drive back home.

In fact that is just what I did.

To make things easier, I undid the diff, gearbox and engine, took out the handbrake and with the help of a hiab crane, I lifted the chassis off the engine and gearbox.

I don't think that Westfields have a single donor

er, yes they do, that'll be the SDV (single donor vehicle) being talked about on here a lot which uses a Sierra for all the bits...... ;)  :D

as regards getting rid of a donor car, firstly, don't put it in the garage to dismantle it  ;)  either do as Pat says and find a friendly scrapyard or else dismantle it outside your house and get someone to collect it (either a scrappie or the council but it could cost you up to £100  ??? )

Your local Fire Station might come round and collect it for tin opener practice. They did this for an old car of my Dad's several years ago. Though considering the number of cars left on the roadside these days they might have stopped it.

Don't quite like the idea of dismantling outside my house - it may take longer than expected to dismantle? I do know of a company near me that will remove cars for free. But need to workout how to get it out of the garage.

As of scrapyards, there aren't any near me and I don;'t want to have to travel far dustances to do a coupl eof hours work here and there.

There must be other ways?

I joined a college motoring club, payed the joining fee and stripped it down there, used the 4 poster ramp and engine hoist, they disposed of the remains of the donor car...........or the students helped them selfs the the interior and heater, etc for their landrovers. and didn't upset any of my neighbours with having a scrap yard as a from garden

Once the donor is finished with what's the score with scrapping it and the V5.

If the SDV takes the old reg surely the old car can't be scrapped exactly.

I'm in this position now, I want to get rid of what remains of the Sierra but don't want to screw up the inevitable documentation exercise later?

Ideas anyone?

Stuart

Once the donor is finished with what's the score with scrapping it and the V5.

Dont release the V5, grind out the chassis identification No before disposal, inform the DVLA of your plans so you're OK with SORN etc.

I did this with  aproject a year or so ago then changed plan, but the guy that bought the kit of parts was able to register under the original reg ;)

Brian.

Thanks to all who answered the query (here and privately). It all seems a little dubious but I'll call DVLA anyway and see what they say.

May also call the local scrappy and see if he'll take the car away anyhow.

If anyone has any other experiences please drop me a note.

Thanks

Stuart

Donor now gone thanks to nice scrappy, only £20.00 lighter

Took off the No plates and took a few photos of the car C/W VIN etc (then drilled off the VIN and put it in my files).

Stuart