• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

What oil?

AndyC_772

50W can pump up the hydraulic tappet solid and cause engine damage

Depends on the engine - that's probably true of Zetecs with their smaller hydraulic followers.

But a 50W or even 60W oil is fine in a VX and doesn't cause them to hydraulic lock.  My engine ran to 8,000rpm without any issues on a 10W60 oil.

I have, however, since swapped to a 10W40 oil without any apparent side effects like noisy tappets so I'll probably stick with that from now on.

Valvoline Synpower 5W50 (fully synthetic) £16 for 4 litres. My engine has been revving to 8500 rpm on hydraulic followers for 2 years, 7750 rpm for 6 years before that. Anyone that says this grade of oil is not correct is talking b*****ks The crank has not even had a grind yet.

If your engine becomes noisey when changing to this oil then you have been running the wrong oil beforehand and your followers are already knackered.

Hope this helps?

Windy