• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

carbs vs throttle bodies

Glen_I

HELP.........trying to decide what to run my 20vx lump on, priced up both options and as far as i can see the throttle bodies are going to be a £1000 more than dellortos (this will include 3d managment)

I know that the throttle bodies are the better option but will it be a £1000 better???????

What do you lot think, lets have your opinions on those who use the above setups..

How come it's £1000 more?

I priced up a TB setup for a Zetec & they came to about £1500. Can you really get Twin 45's all the likages, Management & Manifold for £500?

I recon that you should be able to go TB for about £550 more than 45's. (I'm waiting to be shot down in flames :durr: )

Andy

P.S. I would go the TB route, it will add value to the car, you can play with mapping, you'll get better throttle response, fule economy & proberbly more power(especially in the mid range-where you will notice it)

where did you get that quote, i keep getting quotes for around £1800inc but you still have to get injectors and high pressure fuel pump....

I can get carbs, manifold, ignition ecu for a £1000 all in...

Scholar

Don't know if they do VX bits though. :(

Scholar Engines Blue House Lane

Mendlesham Stowmarket Suffolk IP14 5NH Tel: 01449 767711 Fax: 01449 767772.

:cool:

I would go for the throttle bodies.

reason being if in the future you want to go faster there are a lot more tuning options with bodies

Is their any one around the Hampshire or Berkshire area who runs 20vx with carbs or tb that would be kind enough to take me for a spin so i can feel the difference... i know its a bit cheeky.. dont ask you dont get :D

The other factor is the age of your engine if you need to go through SVA at some stage.   Throttle bodies are a must for a newer engine.   If you can afford to go injection, then there is no doubt that would be the right route to go.   They are more accurately controllable than carbs, will yield more HP too.

Glen go for throttle bodies! :D  :D . It will be cheaper in the long run for upgrades latter. I went down the same thought process as you when I was changing from a CVH to VX and after speaking to Ash Mason I went the throttle bodies route and havent looked back!

It will give you greater flexability to develop the car for both road and track if you so wish.

Stu

TBs...plus i think i have saved the difference in price on the petrol :D

TB setup running will cost you the best part of £2k  :(

Im in the same position, really really want TB's and I know its gonna be worth it but I dont wanna part with all that hard earned dosh :(  Has anyone bought the bodies direct from Jenvey?  Might be a saving there?

I had 45`s fitted on my Zetec with a 3d system and then changed the lot for throttle bodies I should have fitted them at the start would have saved me a far bit of dosh ???

Every one knows that TB's are the way to go, BUT,given a £1k price differential, how many years would it take to reach equilibrium with regard to fuel consumption? To answer my own question I recken about 6 years given 20mpg against 27mpg and average Westy mileage.

A twin carb set up, when correctly set up, has a brutal, raw characteristic that TB's don't have. Do not rule them out.

PS I'm saving for a TB set up at present,  :0 , just call me contradictory ;)

Brian.

Brian, you just hit the nail on the head for me, i cant really afford the £1000 difference, and the "brutal rawness" as you put it is what is appealing to me, if it is a bit off a b***h on idle and low throttle then good thats the fun factor....

I will put the throttle bodies on the next one i build! (missus not happy about that thought) and get carbs out of my system on this one :)  unless i come across a good deal ???

Look here

I know its for an XE, but i presume all the difference between XE & VX installation would be the Manifold? Check B4 buying :durr: