I still want a Westfield

bobsy

Going to Stoneleigh with money to spend, wahoo  :D You'll be like a kid in the words largest sweet shop  :t-up:  :cool:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bobsy

• Blatman

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

• peterg

6 foot 2 here with a duratec and a lowered floor - size 12 feet and no poroblems with fit although it is a bit snug

there a couple of very desirable ones on pistonheads at the moment with the engine upgrade to 220bhp ish

have a look at stoneleigh to narrow things down a bit as far as spec is concerned

Go to stoneleigh.

You will see probably 100 plus Westfields parked on the club stand if good weather.  

You will also find a fair few will be up for sale so you will also have a chance to consider a number of cars in a short period of time.

There is a lso a barn at Stonelwigh where you will find lots of cars for sale.

Personally I would not buy a new factory car as you sound a little unsure of your purchase.  Buy a car for £10 - £15k and if after a year you are bitten you cn easily sell / upgrade with minimal financial impact.

I think you will need a car with lowered floor, detachable steering wheel, race seats without runners.  The Westfield seats are quite tight so don't be put off if you don't fit comfortably in these. Others such as JK, Tillett etc will fit in the car and accommodate larger drivers better.

Also try to think what you want to us ethe car for as this will impact the spec. e.g. touring, evening blasts, trackdays etc

Most importantly there are lots of very friendly owners and club members so don't be shy to turn up and ask questions.

David

It's wanted for a run out on a Sunday, and a blast every now and again. The reason I wanted a pretty quick one was the fact I miss bikes, and if I'm going to loose all the normal car creature comforts, I want something to compensate for that.

I'm very unlikely to do a track day, and doubt I'll ever drive it much more than 50 miles at a time. If I'm honest, I love the look of them, and just want one, it really is no deeper than that  :)

Like you Bobsy i'm in the market for a Westfield soon.   So far I've found out if the car doesn't suit you then it it is always changeable being a Kitcar, just buy the car with the most important 'wants' and adjust the smaller items.

As for number of owners then this is always the case with Kits cars and Niche models that are intended for just fun, summer cruising etc.     The non dedicated fans soon tire of their weekend toy and sell it on, hence lots of owners and small mileage.   Happy hunting.

I am 6' 4" and have a widebody.

I have a detachable steering wheel, gear lever extrension, westfield 'shell style' seat mounted with no runners.

The seat has room to go back another inch or so if required to.

Problem I found was finding a happy medium between legroom and being able to comfortably reach the gear lever/steering wheel so you might want to bear that in mind.

Dave

The main thing is, where it can be done with what I consider a reasonable amount of adjustments. That is something I can live with for the end result.

Typically there are a few for sale at the moment that I consider well worth a look, but with Stoneleigh so soon I'm going to wait.

You'll be grand then mate, mine just took a few attempts to get the seat 'just right' with it being fixed.

Could do with going back slightly further for leg room but then it's a real stretch for the steering wheel and gear level so a bit of a compromise but I manage fine.

Cheers,

Dave

• 3 weeks later...
As others have said there is plenty of room in westies, I'm 6'4'' and 16st got standard seats and no lowered floor with windscreen and find there is plenty of room. I've got an 1800 Zetec and love it to bits this is now my 3rd westie summer you cant get more fun for your cash.

6ft 3, size 12 shoes (wear race boots for driving), prob 14 stone too. Have no probs with legroom or fit.

Megabusa with floor mounted pedals, standard floor, fibreglass westfield seats mounted on the standard westfield fixed seat rails with the top mounting hole chopped off so seat could be mounted closer to the floor (approx 1cm gap from under seat to floor). I have the Rac roll bar and crash helmet (due to aero screen) and the top of my crash helmet is at least an inch, maybe 2, below the top of the Rac bar.

Steering wheel is standard westfield item and have no clashing issues with my legs. The main thing to mention is the upper steering column can use aluminium block spacers to increase the rake angle, thereby giving you more clearance between steering wheel and legs. I think I used a 1cm or 1.5cm block (the biggest they did anyway) on the upper mount and the 0.5cm block on the lower mounting position (again standard westfield items).

Good luck with your westie adventure.

Thank you for that, and you've got a point. It is possible that the pedals are more of a problem because I can't get my knees under the wheel enough to feel them properly.

It would make perfect sense, as I know I have to move the wheel whichever case, to at least try that before buying a pedal box in case I can get away with it.

Do we also know for sure if the clutch and brake cyclinders are the same for both top and bottm mounted, as that could start getting expensive. Though I guess neither are specif Westfield items??

Westie 1800, I'm 14.5stone, but I can't get in a standard one. I tried it at Westfield and at Stoneleigh. My knees are so far into the dash/bottom of the steeringwheel it would be impossible to drive it. The room on the seat, across etc is fine though.

• 3 weeks later...
I have a 92 widebody with a type 9 tunnel, Im 6'4" with size12 plates, and drive race and sprint mine with no problems(apart from ability). I have been looking and there is still room to move the pedals forward, and lower the seat.

I'm confident after what's been said that I'm safe to buy one, and even if it's a bit snug it won't be the end of the world to alter it.

There's been a couple of Westfields of late that I'd have liked to see/potentially buy, but I'm not doing to well on the time/space front at the moment (doing some building work). Think I'm going to need to shelve this for a couple of months unless something pretty special comes along.  :down:

Nah, thats a poor excuse Bob :p forget the building work and get a Westfield bought for the summer :D the DIY will still be there for you to do in the winter :D