• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Fuel filler and scuttle problems

Taurus

Hi,

Got as far as placing the body on today. I have a few potential problems I am sure somebody can help me with. When i mark out the hole required for the fuel filler cap it is only about 2-3mm above the fog light. This seems very close to me and when i see some photos of westys they seem to have much more clearance than this. Also it is visually more attractive to have a greater clearance. What is wrong please?

Second point is that just to try it out I placed the scuttle on the bodywork. The steering column gets in the way i.e. it raises the scuttle up. Does this mean that i will have to cut a slot in the scuttle for it to fit? There is no mention of this in the manual.

Oh, one last thing, the manual says to user four rivets to hold the bodywork on at the back, two on each side. Does anybody else think this is not enough or is it just me?

TIA.

Peter.

There should be a reasonable gap between the fuel filler and the fog light, can't remember what the dimensions are but it's certainly more than 2-3 mm, I guess it's at least 2 - 3 inches (sorry 50 - 75mm). Where did you get your measurements from?

As for the scuttle, yes you have to notch out the return flange and a semi-circle from the front face to clear the column. I used a hole saw just slightly more than half on the front face. This obviously cut 2 parallel slots in the return face underneath, just extend these back to the edge and there you go.

Hope that helps.

The fog and reversing lights are mounted in line with the indicator and brake lights. The measurements for the hole for the filler pipe are taken from the neck on the petrol tankacross to the bodywork. I have checked it a number of times and had a friend of mine check it with me, same results.

Peter.

Yep, that was the same on mine.   Aparently the design of the tank has been changed, so the filler neck is lower now.   I made mine a bit higher up by angling the pipe between the filler cap and the tank.   I also packed under the tank a little to gain a few more.

I think the manual is desperately out of date, and needs at least a supplement to clear up little ###k ups like that from occurring in the first place!

HTH

I've got the measurements checked, I was wrong, it's more like 1 inch from the top of my fog light to the bottom of the filler cap.

When I was building it I used a straight edge to get the angle of the tank filler tube transferred to the inside of the bodywork from there I got the measurement for the approximate centre of the filler cap. I then cut a hole using a hole saw, but smaller than the filler cap neck. That gave me the chance to change the position of the hole to get it exactly in line with the tube. I then opend the hole out using a dremel like attachment.

Aparently the design of the tank has been changed, so the filler neck is lower now

That explains it, wonder why they changed the tank design. Is it anything to do with filling from fuel pumps, I always find the pumps try to cut off if you squeeze the trigger too far.