wind deflectors

harky

Received my new wind deflectors from John Moore at Uniplas today and have fitted them onto the pillars no problem.

It is probably quite simple but his explanation for securing the side screens has got me a little confused.The paperwork that came with them mentions a wire and I think this involves drilling the bodywork?

Has anyone else done this or came up with a similar method of securing them.If so please explain the best method.

I didn't bother with all that myself, just put a bit of panel edging on the bit that touches the body work, this looks much nicer that the split fuel tubing that is suggested.  The deflectors can blow forward in a [/i]strong wind when you're sitting at lights but the flop back as soon as you get going.  I imagine its a bit of a pain to remove the wire system if you want to fit the doors regularly.

Tony J

I was considering drilling a small grub screw into the hinge to hold the deflector in place as I dont really fancy drilling holes in the body.

Has anyone else come up with anything.

The mirrors will hold them in place, you won't need anything else apart from the rubber edging along the bottom to protect the bodywork of the car.

Dont have any photos of mine yet but they do make a huge difference when driving at speed.I had my first door free day today and it was a lot easier to throw the westy into corners etc and not have to keep my elbows tucked in at the same time.

Definately a must, and all for only£47...

Forgot to mention, I dont have any mirrors so when I use the brakes heavily theres a good chance my deflectors are going to swing forwards so I am still looking for an easy solution to fix them in place.(without drilling my bodywork)

There are a pair in the picture in this avatar.   If you look close enough  :devil:

If you send me an e-mail, I'll send a pic, and the phone number of the suppliers.

:D

Ahem...

What avatar?  :blush:

Sorry...should be back soon.

Andy

I drilled my deflectors middle of the bottom edge, used heavy duty wire, and then simply loosened the scuttle bolts and passed the wire through the gap between the scuttle and tub, then retightened the bolts.  Job done, no damage.  I don't take the deflectors off, but if I did, it would be a 10 minute job.

Forgot to mention, I dont have any mirrors so when I use the brakes heavily theres a good chance my deflectors are going to swing forwards so I am still looking for an easy solution to fix them in place.(without drilling my bodywork)

If you put a bend into the hinge pin it will 'grip' the hinge holes and they will be a lot tighter and less prone to flap around.

Nick

Thanks for all that.I managed to secure them over the weekend using the same method as above with wire and a small hole in the deflector.

The name and address for the deflectors is

John Moore

Unoplas Ltd

Brookdale House

Latherford Close

Four Ashes

Wolverhampton

WV10 7DY

All I had to do was send him a cheque, my address and bobs your uncle......

make them yourself. i did cost me half the price.

brackets from westfield and some polycarbonate.