• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Cat 1 alarm

JamesD

Has anyone fitted a Cat 1 alarm to the Westy?

I know most of the features would be useless but I was particularly interested in the microwave technology that should deter people(kids) from clambering into the Westy.

Any opinions?

Personally, I would have thought it would be too prone to false alarms.

Could be wrong though...mine has an immobiliser and removeable steering wheel (and doesn't get left alone too often ;)).

Andy

I know most of the features would be useless but I was particularly interested in the microwave technology that should deter people(kids) from clambering into the Westy.

If you fit it yourself, there is no advantage in a CAT 1 as insurance companies will not take it in to consideration so you may as well save some money and fit just the bits you really need.

IMHO an alarm is a waste of time as everyone ignores them - what you need is something that alerts YOU. The solution is at hand - fit a microwave sensor and a pager.

If you are going to be out of range of the pager ( about 2 Km ) at any time ( I rarely am!! ) you may prefer the psychological satisfaction of an alarm as well as even if it is ignored by the good old British citizens, it may frighten off the kids - but in any event, a cheap self fit will be more than capable of making a noise.

I have just fitted one to my son's car ( drop head XR3i ) and it even beeps a warning if people get too close to the car but doesn't page him until the 'second line of defence' is breached.

You get that to?

Great fun when I'm driving to work through sleepy little villages :D

Andy